1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2011 10:06 PM by Doc_SilverCreek

Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case

cotefr

I just upgraded my server motherboard to a S5520SC.  I did the usual update to install to latest firmware and configure the FRU and SDR.  During the FRU and SDR update process, the script warned me that it did not found the Local Control Panel and that without its temperature readings it wouldn't be able to control fan speeds.  As a matter of fact, right after the update, the fans went full speed and I couldn't find any ways to control it.

I'm using a non-Intel case, Titan 650 by Antec, and it doesn't have any temperature sensors.  Since the FRUSDR script warned me it wanted a temperature reading, I went and searched ways to provide it with that information.  I found that Intel Local Control Panel (iLCP) do provide that information.

My tought is to install one in my case.  The one I'm looking for is model AXXLCPPED since it is used in cases approved for my motherboard.  My question is wether or not I can install an iLCP in a non-Intel case?  As anyone tried that.  Is installing a iLCP a simple matter of connecting wires to the motherboard and power supply?  Any comments are welcomed since I've never tried that before and would like to avoid bad surprises with that project.

Thanks,

François

• 1. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
          Dan_O

You can install it in an unused 5.25" peripheral bay, but I don't think that control panel has the temperature sensor on it.  So it wouldn't solve the problem.

Does the SEL say why the fans are running full speed?

• 2. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
            cotefr

Dan,

It's my first server board and have never wqorked with SEL before.  If you tell me how I can look into it I will gladly look into it and try to figure out if it tells me something about the system fans.

As for the control panel, you are right.  I'm not sure if the specific model I refered to has a temperature sensor or not.  But what I know for sure is that other models do have them.  If you look into the following document : http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/lcptps1_1.pdf , you will find out on page 9 (figure 14) a Local Control Panel (LCP)  that looks very much like the one I mentionned.  In paragraph 3.1 there's a description of the temperature sensing feature and how "It is connected to the 1_wire_bus signal on the server board'S 50-pin connector".  Also, the missing temperature sensor warning I had was received as the system was trying to detect the LCP.  That gave me a hint like what the LCP should have a temperature sensor - I guess.  Can anyone confirm that LCP model AXXLCPPED - as found in Intel case SC5600 - has a temperature sensor ?

I was able to go into the script and get the exact messages I received.  Here they are:

Detecting Local Control Panel. Please wait...

Local Control Panel is not detected.

Front Panel Temperature sensor is not found.
            Fan Speed Control (FSC) will not work properly without this sensor

Thanks for your help,

François

• 3. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
              Dan_O

The SEL viewer utility is at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17933&lang=eng

There's also a copy on the CD that came with the motherboard, if you have that.

• 4. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                cotefr

Thanks for the link.  I did try the program, but I don't know how to use it effectively.  I did follow the instructions, but get the following error message : "*ERROR* Invalid invocation."  I was trying to run the following command as administrator: "SELView log.sel -save".  I made sure the IMBdriver was installed before and got "Installation Successful" message.  I've noted that a "Pre-requisite to run SEL Viewer utility is uploading the FRUSDR package on the hardware successfully."  What does that mean?  Is it simply running the FRUSDR21.nsh from the EFI shell?  If so, it was already done successfuly.  Can you help?

Thanks,

François

• 5. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                  alexeig

A have a similar issue with a Chenbro SR105 case (two fans, 3-pin on SysFan1 and 4-pin on SysFan5).  Updated the SDR to only "listen" to fans on 1 and 5.  CPU fans are throttled although still quite a bit whiny, however the case fans are still at full speed which makes it a show-stopper: I can't deliver a system this noisy with a straight face to a client.

On a side note: I am just curious: how can Intel call a motherboard with onboard video, and a convoluted BIOS update procedure through EFI/SDR, and no documentation on how to control fan speed with a non-Intel case, a "workstation" motherboard?  Just curious.

• 6. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                    Dan_O

Looking at page 5 of the User Guide, shouldn't that be 'selview /save log.text', or something?

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5400SF/sb/CS-028357.htm

• 7. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                      cotefr

Ok, I now got SELView to work in EFI.

What I've done is that I connected all my system fans to an external fan controller and only left the CPU1 fan connected to the board.  I updated the FRU/SDR to reflect that configuration.  I cleared the SEL log and restarted the computer.  Upon startup, I went directly toSELVIew in the EFI shell, so I didn't leave time to the system to boot through Windows.  When I got back in SELView, I've found 2 information event, 1 warning and 1 critical event regarding the processor 1 fan.  Here's the output:

7 01/07/2010-22:16:16 Fan /Processor 1 Fan (#0x30) Informational event: Processor 1 Fan reports the sensor is no longer in a low non-critical state. Sensor reading: Unspecified. Threshold value: Unspecified. BMC - LUN #0 (Channel #00h)

8 01/07/2010-22:16:16 Fan /Processor 1 Fan (#0x30) Informational event: Processor 1 Fan reports the sensor is no longer in a critically low state. Sensor reading: Unspecified. Threshold value: Unspecified. BMC - LUN #0 (Channel #00h)

9 01/07/2010-22:16:20 Fan /Processor 1 Fan (#0x30) Warning event: Processor 1 Fan reports the sensor is in a low, but non-critical, and going lower state. Sensor reading: 0.00 RPM. Threshold value: 775.00 RPM. BMC - LUN #0 (Channel #00h)

10 01/07/2010-22:16:20 Fan /Processor 1 Fan (#0x30) CRITICAL event: Processor 1 Fan reports the sensor is in a low, critical, and going lower state. Sensor reading: 0.00 RPM. Threshold value: 682.00 RPM. BMC - LUN #0 (Channel #00h)

I see that the sensor believes the fan has stopped (0.00 RPM), but can confirm it never stopped.  Would it be a fan speed sensor problem ?

François

• 8. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                        cotefr

Alex,

I don't know if it can be of any help, but temporarily I took a fan speed controller of another computer and installed it into my server to control the fans.  It allows me to get them to turn at reasonable speed.  The particular model I'm using is a NZXT Sentry LX which has its own temperature sensor independant from the motherboard, but other models might do just as well.  Still I will try to find the real fix to the problem since I want to put back the controller in its original computer.

François

• 9. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                          alexeig

François,

Thanks - that might be a solution.  I called Intel support and there are looking into it; we'll see what happens.

• 10. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                            Dan_O

That's weird, that the fan is reporting zero.  Is it the Intel fan, or some other processor fan?

• 11. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                              cotefr

Its the Intel fan model STS100C, the one recommended by Intel.  I have temporarily plugged the fan in a fan controller and I do get a fan speed reading with the controller.

• 12. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                                Dan_O

But it's reporting as fan speed zero?  You don't have it plugged into CPU 2 header or anything accidentally, do you?

And when you ran the FRU, you did tell it "Yes" to CPU 1 Fan?

• 13. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                                  cotefr

I've redone the exercise just in case, but with the same results.

The CPU fan was really installed in the CPU 1 FAN connector, which is located right beside DIMM C2 socket. And yes, I did answer "YES" to CPU 1 FAN.  Now, I just don't know what to say !?

François

• 14. Re: Fan Speed Control with Non-Intel Case
                                    Dan_O

I am just as confused as you!  I see no reason why it should be reporting 0 RPMs.  The only thing I would suggest now is talking to technical support - maybe they have some tricks we haven't thought of.

1 2 Previous Next