Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

"This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software" - Intel Core i7 4810MQ - Windows 7 x64

TSpet
Beginner

So I've got a Dell Precision M4800 here. It's got Intel Core i7 4810MQ which obviously has Intel HD Graphics 4600 on-die, and the system also came with an AMD FirePro M5100 dedicated graphics card.

The AMD graphics drivers from AMD's website installed beautifully.

And, as if on cue, the Intel ones didn't, instead giving me the increasingly-frequent "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software" error message.

So I guess I'm wondering when I can expect an up-to-date driver package that works?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CLowr
Beginner

Hi apickle

Have you checked the Dell website?

0 Kudos
TSpet
Beginner

As if on cue, "Check with your OEM! Don't expect us to make working software for our products!"

What do I do when Dell's website has graphics drivers that are a year out of date, though?

0 Kudos
jgupt1
Novice
  1. Download a copy of the driver from Dell (This is for safety, we will roll back to this driver in case the intel branded driver fails).
  2. Go to Windows Control Panel, and REMOVE/UNINSTALL the graphics driver. Restart the computer.
  3. Open device manager and check Windows is using a basic Microsoft driver for the GPU, not an Intel/Dell driver. If it is not using the basic driver, remove the driver (make sure you check the "Delete driver software" box when performing this step. Don't try to remove the Basic Microsoft driver, this removal process is only if Step 1 fails to completely remove the OEM driver). Restart the computer once again if you had to remove the driver from device manager.
  4. Download and attempt installing the driver from the intel website. The driver should now install fine. Restart the computer and check if everything works well. If not, remove the intel driver completely, and re-install the Dell/OEM driver we downloaded in step 1.
0 Kudos
JSkau
New Contributor II

apickle skrev:

As if on cue, "Check with your OEM! Don't expect us to make working software for our products!"

apickle - did it occur to you, that most people on this support community forum are not associated with Intel? Please refrain from this, most of us here are just users helping other users. And the logical first step would be to try your OEM supplier's driver first - they are at full liberty (and often do) make their own altercations to module integration and capacities. In those cases, generic chipset drivers will be lacking or operate faulty.

Have a good one!

Regards,

Jan

0 Kudos
TSpet
Beginner

Awesumium wrote:

1. Download a copy of the driver from Dell (This is for safety, we will roll back to this driver in case the intel branded driver fails).

Unfortunately, even after a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, installing Dell's driver results in the exact same error message.

0 Kudos
TSpet
Beginner

pr0xzen wrote:

apickle - did it occur to you, that most people on this support community forum are not associated with Intel? Please refrain from this, most of us here are just users helping other users.

Look, that's fair, it's just pretty much the bog-standard response when this stuff doesn't work. I don't go to ASUS to get my AMD graphics drivers, I don't go to EVGA to get my nvidia graphics drivers. I've worked on hundreds of computers in my time - it's what I do, and in exactly zero cases do I ever subject my user to some HP or Dell driver that's YEARS out-of-date because of "OEM enhancements" that are gimmicky, useless, and unnecessary in the first place. This is especially true with graphics drivers, where the months/years of lack of updates can render modern applications and games buggy or outright unusable - which directly affect's my client's experiences using their computer.

This error message happens all the time on perfectly functional Intel hardware. It is outright unacceptable. They had a net profit of $11.7 billion dollars in 2014. That is, after paying their software developers who develop the drivers for these devices and everything else, they still finished with $11.7 billion in profits. And they can't make a reliably functioning software package FOR THEIR OWN HARDWARE? I will not back down on this. This costs me time and frustration. I'll point out that it didn't used to be like this - Intel's drivers used to be reliable and easy to get, but now they're "improving" their website (so the manual driver picker has been shelved) and their drivers - from Rapid Storage Technology ("This platform is not supported" on supported platforms) to Intel's graphics drivers just refusing to install, in some cases specifically because they detect themselves being installed on OEM computers and deliberately prevent that.

To say I'm furious would be an understatement, but you make a fair point - I shouldn't take it out on other users on this forum. It's just frustrating when the first thing I flippantly get told is to go fetch the ten-month-out-of-date OEM drivers, as if I should just accept that my one year old computer has ten month old drivers and that's that - even though I can clearly see a driver package, FOR hardware IN MY COMPUTER, that's dated one month old.

pr0xzen wrote:

And the logical first step would be to try your OEM supplier's driver first - they are at full liberty (and often do) make their own altercations to module integration and capacities.

Those alterations are for the most part useless, gimmicky features that are less valuable to both me and my users than simply having a generic driver that's up-to-date and compatible with the latest applications. This goes across the board - graphics drivers being updated is crucial to seeing performance improvements and stability. Network drivers being updated are crucial to security - didn't you see the Pwn2Own competition where Charlie Miller exploited a vulnerability in an Intel wireless driver to put a file on a Mac user's desktop? The vulnerability ALSO affected Windows users, and Intel quickly patched it. I doubt Dell or HP did, though - which means your "go get the OEM driver" advice would've left me with a glaring security vulnerability.

I'll grant you that in SOME cases the modifications are useful - for example, Dell's Realtek audio driver for their E-Port dock compatible Latitude laptops allows the system to pass audio through the dock's audio port. Okay, there's a clear, demonstrable advantage to Dell's driver package than the generic one from Realtek... even though a lot of advanced audio control features that are present in Realtek's generic driver control software are missing from the Dell "MaxxAudio" software, and even though it's still months out of date... it is helpful to have sound work properly through the dock.

0 Kudos
jgupt1
Novice

Is that a typo?

Or are you really saying a Dell computer is having trouble installing the driver you got from Dell's own website?

The solution I provided has always worked for me, but all my laptops are HP. It could be that Dell has modified the motherboard is such a way that it's preventing the driver installation (Dell cannot modify the IGP on the CPU itself, but they can modify the motherboard, it's not made by Intel).

In any case, we're just trying to help.

• Most of us are not Intel employees, no point venting your frustration here, if you want to talk directly to Intel, send them an email.
  • The motherboard (ROM BIOS) of your computer is not manufactured by Intel. It's based on an Intel design, but is not made by Intel. The motherboard manufacturer is free to make changes to Intel's original design, and doing so will break Intel's generic driver compatibility- this is hardly Intel's fault.
  • You did not purchase the computer from Intel, you purchased it from Dell. Supporting it should be Dell's responsibility.
  • Dell purchased some components of your computer from Intel. If Dell runs into a problem with those components, Dell will contact Intel. If you run into a problem with those components, you will contact Dell - like it or not, this is how businesses work in most parts of the world.

Once again, i understand how frustrating it could be to see a new driver available, but not being allowed to install it. If my solution is not working on your laptop, I would strongly recommend you to get in touch with Dell, and request Dell to make an updated driver available for your notebook model..

0 Kudos