6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 10:33 AM by mikec_intel

NUC5i7RYH RAID 1 Creation for SATA and M2 SSD Drives

EricYongNUC5i7RYH

Hi Intel Support

I have an Intel NUC5i7RYH with the latest BIOS 0.350 and two SSD drives, one SATA and one M2 both 256GB, running under Win 10 Build 10586.17

The BIOS is able to see both of them whether under RAID or AHCI.

Can a kind soul guide us how to setup RAID 1 to mirror these two drives.

Not able to find such info on NUC user manuals or Intel NUC support link here.

• 1. Re: NUC5i7RYH RAID 1 Creation for SATA and M2 SSD Drives
          N.Scott.Pearson

Eric,

In order for you to use RAID across the M.2 and SATA SSDs, both of these drives must be connected to the system's (processor/chipset/SOC) SATA controllers. This means that you must be using a M.2 SATA SSD, not a M.2 PCIe SSD. M.2 SATA SSDs, like the previous generation mSATA SSDs, utilize the SATA lane that is present in the mPCIe connector. M.2 PCIe SSDs, on the other hand, have their own, separate SATA controller that utilizes 1, 2 or 4 of the PCIe lanes present in the mPCIe connector (to implement higher throughput rates).

Presuming that you have a M.2 SATA SSD, I will go on. Here are the steps that you need to follow:

1. Power on the system and use the <F2> key to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS).
          2. Select Advanced, then Boot and then the Boot Configuration tab.
          3. In the Boot Display Config display on the right, change the setting for Expansion Card Text to <Enable>.
          4. Select Devices and then the SATA tab.
          5. In the Chipset SATA Controller Configuration display on the left, change the setting for Chipset SATA Mode to <RAID>.
          6. Press the <F10> key to start the Save & Exit process and then the <Y> key to save the configuration changes.
          7. Immediately begin pressing <CTRL>-<I> (Control-Eye) until you see the Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Option ROM display.
          8. Select Create RAID Volume by pressing the <1> key.
          9. Type in a name for your RAID Volume and press <Enter> (or just press <Enter> if you don't mind the name "Volume1").
          10. Press the <down-arrow> key once to select mode RAID1 (Mirror) and then press <Enter>.
          11. Press <Enter> to use full capacity of the drives.
          12. Press <Enter> again to create the RAID volume.
          13. Select Exit by pressing the <6> key.

You now have your RAID volume and can proceed to format and install the O/S onto it following the documented procedures. Make sure you install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology package after installing the O/S.

Hope this helps; let me know if you need any additional information...

...Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NUC5i7RYH RAID 1 Creation for SATA and M2 SSD Drives
            EricYongNUC5i7RYH

Thank you Mr. Scott.

I will follow your instruction as prescribed.

My M2 SSD Is a M2 SATA SSD.

If my SATA SSD is already a bootable with the Win 10 OS.  If I create a RAID volume with the two SSD drives in question...would I lose that installed OS on the SATA Drive.

If yes, what is your advice for me to retain that OS.

I am hoping with the RAID volume created, it can automatically replicate and mirror that OS across to the M2 SATA SSD drive.

• 3. Re: NUC5i7RYH RAID 1 Creation for SATA and M2 SSD Drives
              N.Scott.Pearson

No sorry, at the point where you create the RAID volume, you will lose the contents of both drives.

...S

• 4. Re: NUC5i7RYH RAID 1 Creation for SATA and M2 SSD Drives
                mikec_intel

Hi EricYongNUC5i7RYH,

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
                Mike C

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: NUC5i7RYH RAID 1 Creation for SATA and M2 SSD Drives
                  EricYongNUC5i7RYH

Hi Mike and Scott

Scott's advice play out as being outlined in his email.

Given that the RAID 1 will erase my existing SATA SSD hard disk data, I will have to acquire another similar SATA SSD to create the new RAID 1 mirror.

I think not going to be an issue going forward although I suspect might need to call Microsoft support to activate my Win 10 OS again as was the case with the replaced motherboard as the Win 10 OEM product key was tied to the faulty motherboard.

Thanks again, both of you have been a great help although initial ride with the Intel NUC was a bit of mystique compounded by a faulty board now RMA replaced.

• 6. Re: NUC5i7RYH RAID 1 Creation for SATA and M2 SSD Drives
                    mikec_intel

Hi EricYongNUC5i7RYH,

You are welcome.

Regards,
                    Mike C