Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 driver crashing

ICust31
Novice

Hello,

I got a new Asus Windows 10 64-bit laptop that has both Intel HD graphics 530 and nVidia GeForce GTX 960m dedicated graphics. When browsing the web, especially while using Google Images, my computer freezes up for a second, unfreezes, and I get a notifcation saying the Intel HD graphics driver crashed and recovered itself. This happens multiple times per day and there are no driver updates yet from the Asus website as this is a new model of laptop.

I've also had a couple of blue screens due to "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" that I believe is related, as it freezes up while browsing the web much like the driver crashes, but then it goes to a black screen for a couple of seconds and then the blue screen.

162 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello @steph_444444,

Could you please let us know the driver version you're running? Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.

I would recommend to check the following post , where users have been reporting some workarounds and I stated(see post # 25) that issues with Intel® HD Graphics 530 are being investigated.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ICust31
Novice

I have driver version 10.18.15.4268 dated to 2015-08-05.

Unlike the other post, I am not getting screen flickering. The screen simply freezes for a second and then resumes as normal, and I get a notification that the Intel HD graphics driver stopped responding and recovered itself. This only happens when browsing the web regardless of the browser I'm using.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the information.

Please try with the following driver version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25541/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40], where this issue is stated as fixed, note the picture below;

For further reference https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25541/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_15%2040%204326_Final.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25541/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_15%2040%204326_Final.pdf

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ICust31
Novice

Unfortunately I am unable to install that driver as I get an error telling me that it's not for my computer and to visit the manufacturer's website in order to download the correct driver. I am already running the latest driver available on the manufacturer's website.

0 Kudos
GE2
Beginner

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem on a recently purchased ASUS laptop too.

Windows 10 64 bit,

HD graphics 530 and nVidia GeForce GTX 960m

Screen becomes black when accessing some web pages.

it definitely comes from the intel driver as when I uninstall it, everything goes back to normal.

Intel normal installer wont let us update and ASUS has not got a more recent version than the buggy one.

What can we do?

0 Kudos
GE2
Beginner

By the way, steph_444444, you can click in device manager, under intel 530, click update driver, do it manually, choose from a list, and pick the Microsoft basic display adater and that will temporarily and dirtily fix the problem. but this is not the right solution.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

Please try to install this driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25541/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]; follow these instructions in order to install the driver properly http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install a Driver in Microsoft Windows 8* or Windows...

Regards,

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Why do you give him an outdated driver?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25620/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-6th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40 6th Gen]

This is better.

0 Kudos
CMatt5
Beginner

I am having the same problem and have tried using the driver linked to in this threat both automatically and manually. I keep getting told that the driver version I have is already current. It doesn't seem to be recognizing the new driver as compatible... Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
SSyno
Novice

Same issue here as the OP and I've tried the driver you've linked to as well.

0 Kudos
GE2
Beginner

ok so this driver worked for me. and i dont have the problem anymore.

not sure if this matters, but i had switched my intel display adapter driver to a microsoft basic display adapter before.

then the install given by yups worked, and the intel reappeared in the device manager and no more display driver instability for now.

thanks. hope this works for you guys too.

0 Kudos
SSyno
Novice

Did that as well with no luck.

I went to the Device Manager, right clicked on the Intel Display Adapter and hit Uninstall (while also checking the box to remove the driver). Then I tried installing the newer driver linked to above (w/o rebooting the PC first).

Still had the display driver not responding issue.

Performed the same steps again above (but this time rebooted the PC before installing the newer driver linked to above).

Same display driver not responding issue.

Secure erased my SSD and reinstalled Windows 8.1 Pro. x64. No issue since then.

0 Kudos
CMatt5
Beginner

I'm curious how you "switched my intel display adapter driver to a microsoft basic display adapter before". Is this another onboard video card you have? I still have not found a working solution to this problem and uninstalling and reinstalling Windows is not an option at the moment.

0 Kudos
GE2
Beginner

i went to device manager

under display adapter, right click properties on the intel hd 530

went to driver tab

clicked update driver button

chose to browse my computer for driver software

then chose to pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

then i had the choice between intel hd 530 and microsoft basic display adapter

i was using it until i updated to the driver 15.40, i thought i would have an error saying it should be provided by the manufacturer but no the driver installed and it seems stable.

hope this helps

0 Kudos
CMatt5
Beginner

Thanks so much! That did the trick.

0 Kudos
mnoor2
Beginner

Hallo,

I have something strange!! I have lenovo 17 inch Y700 skylake6700HQ 16 gb ssd and hdd nvidia geforce GTX 950 and intel hd530

I had the Original driver 10.18.15.4271, and had problems so I updated to version 10.15.40 144352 this was 2 days ago but now windows said there was a problem but they repair it and now I look and having the Original driver back!

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Please try to install the driver with the following method http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

Regards,

0 Kudos
mnoor2
Beginner

Hello Amy, Yes I have told lenovo about it, but they said that Intel must

dilever a good driver.

Ik have the driver ending on 26 but the flikkering is not away, so please

devolepe an update for the driver.

Also the driver ending on 52 causes flickering sometimes .

Thanks greetings

0 Kudos
mnoor2
Beginner

Hello Amy, Yes I have told lenovo about it, but they said that Intel must

dilever a good driver.

Ik have the driver ending on 26 but the flikkering is not away, so please

devolepe an update for the driver.

Also the driver ending on 52 causes flickering sometimes .

Thanks greetings

0 Kudos
ekili
Beginner

Hello Amy

My OS is win 10 pro.When i installed in hd 530 driver,my screen is freezing in 1-5 minutes.I tryed some drivers from gigabyte,microsoft etc.How can I solve this problem.

My system is gigabyte mainboard h170n wifi-itx ,intel 6500 i5 skylake,4gb gskilss ddr4 ram,ocz vertex 3 120 gb ssd.

0 Kudos