Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Upgrade to 4Gb of RAM on Intel 965 Express

idata
Employee

I have a laptop running Vista 32 bit, with Intel T8100 processor and GM865 chipset. I installed 4gb of RAM, but it does not boot up. I have checked the BIOS, and it correctly shows 4gb of RAM, and all other parameters are OK. Could this be a Vista compatibility issue?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi

No i doubt it is a vista issue as by what you say you ar not getting any POST at all.

Does it work if you take 2Gb out? Have you checked the Laptop manufacturers website to see if the laptop can take $gb and that they havent limited it to 2?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have checked with the manufacturer and they claim that the system supports 4gb, but there might be a compatibility issue between RAM brand and the system, or with my 32-bit windows. Have also checked with the RAM manufacturer and they say they memories are fully compatible (memtest results OK); so I'm reinstalling Windows now, to see if that solves the problem. If not, well... suggestions will be appreciated

idata
Employee

OK, so the system DOES post?

Is tehre an option in BIOS called memory remap?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

there's no memory recall in BIOS.

The system POST's OK, starts booting up, shows Vista's first screen, and then shows BSOD...

I also tried with Ubuntu (I have a LiveCD) and works just fine, so I believe it's a Vista compatibility issue, or perhaps my system manufacturer added some BIOS bug to limit the total amount of memory (that happened me before with a Sony laptop)

I don't want to migrate to Ubuntu since I have many tools not compatible, so what should I do?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I would try to reinstall the OS, or try XP or 7 see what happens.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, here's the thing:

I reinstalled Vista 32-bit and nothing... still the same. Good news are that it allowed me to reinstall the system with no issues, so the RAM modules work, right? Will try another version this weekend.

However, Intel answered me that this chipset "may support 4gb but not on dual-channel support" What does this mean???

They also told me my chipset wouldn't work on the intel T8100 processor and FSB800, but hence, there it is...

As the BSOD, this is the compatibility error it shows:

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

0x0000004e (0x0000008a 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000)

nothing useful on google...any clues?

thanks!!

0 Kudos