cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imaging to X25-M (gen 2) and TRIM

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me confirm some things regarding the X25-M, and using it with W7. W7 is already running on a HDD, and I want to move to the SSD.

If I use Intel's Firmware Update Tool to get the latest firmware for the SSD, then use Acronis to image the old HDD to the X25-M, and then start using the SSD as my boot drive, will everything be ready to go?

Essentially I just want to check that with the latest firmware, the SSD and TRIM will be working without any further action on my part? As far as I know, this is correct and hopefully someone can just confirm. In fact the only reason I'm really asking at all is that on the Bit Tech forums, someone told me NOT to install the Intel Firmware at all which I find strange. Unless there's some problem with imaging rather than doing a fresh W7 install, but I'm unaware of any such problem.

Thanks for any help guys, I did see this (http://communities.intel.com/message/77925# 77925) and so I realise that my questions aren't suitable here but having read Intel's support documents and some other places (including the previously mentioned forum), I'm not entirely sure.

6 REPLIES 6

DZand
Contributor III

Raptor77 schrieb:

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me confirm some things regarding the X25-M, and using it with W7. W7 is already running on a HDD, and I want to move to the SSD.

If I use Intel's Firmware Update Tool to get the latest firmware for the SSD, then use Acronis to image the old HDD to the X25-M, and then start using the SSD as my boot drive, will everything be ready to go?

That depends on wether you connect the SSD to the same SATA port as the old HDD and wether you remove the old HDD from your system.

If not, you have to change the order of the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings within the mainboard BIOS.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah I was planning on connecting it to the same port.

Is updating with Intel's firmware for the best? I was planning on going through with it. And will W7 take care of TRIM? Thank you for the help.

DZand
Contributor III

If you want to get full Trim support, you have to flash the actual SSD firmware into your SSD, run Windows 7 und use the generic MS IDE or AHCI drivers.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Cheers for that, it was exactly what I was after.