1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2010 1:46 PM by Curious592

DG43GT cannot enter bios setup

andreacarli

I have this system: Intel DG43GT, Intel Core2Quad 9550, 4Gb ram DDR2/800 Kingston, Intel SSD 54nm 80Gb (as primary), Seagate 500Gb ST3500320AS, ATI Radeon HD5750 1Gb (Sapphire VaporX model), LG BD Rom reader/DVDR GGC-H20L.

I updated bios to 0024 version (latest) using the Windows Flash Utility from a previous installed operatin sistem (Vista 64x), since the bios update from ISO image wont start founding an error (mismatch of something).

The bios setup appearance isn't good: the highlight of the upper menu is not correct and the heading of the setup is not displayed (black area).

I set all bios settings I need and then I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (final OEM).

After this there is no possibility to enter in the bios setup any more. I press F2 every boot but it goes to boot the OS.

I use a standard PS2 Keyboard and an USB mouse; in bios setup I disabled the Intel ME setup prompt at boot.

Anyone can help me solve this?

• 1. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
          andreacarli

I am a professional technician so I disappointed to not get answer to my question...i think it is a Support Forum (Technicians are on vacancy?).

I tried to remove the PCIe VGA card and the problem persist with the integrated VGA. I tried change RAM with other brand and problem still remail. Yet using an USB keyboard instead of the PS2 one.

I try to explain better the problem...

At boot time the first screen don't display the 'Intel blue graphic' but only the Intel Logo on white background in the lower right corner of the screen with F2 - F12 key function. It also display post codes.

The F2 key don't work with bios 0024, while with bios 0019 work, but...

The bios configuration page is displayed with the first three rows in black and the menu (2nd row) display badly the highlighter.

The 1st boot screen and the bios setup page display correctly only sometimes expecially when running a bios flash update.

I bought a new mainboard (same model) today and it work the same way (it comes with bios ver.0019).

I would also to report that:

1) Bios update 0024 with ISO method don't work due to a IFLASH2.EXE file corruption. I build a new ISO using the IFLASH2.EXE files that come with the .ZIP version of the bios update and it work.

2) Bios update 0019 with ISO method don't boot. To use it I build a new ISO starting from the 0024 ISO file and putting on it the files of the 0019 bios.

So I hope to get an answer or I shoud contact support directly (I am an IPI member).

Regards,

Andrea Carli

• 2. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
            Aryan2411

Hello Andrea,

This is quite strange your case.

Let's start from scratch.

Make sure the dimm a slot 0 is populated to avoid management engine errors.

Try to switch the bios jumper to Maintenance Mode

Result:

(usually it should go straight away in the bios without pressing f2)

Try to do a bios recovery to the previous bios version 0019

Result:

CMOS clear. Update the bios again to version 0020.

Result:

Let me know the results, we can think further.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 3. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
              andreacarli

I solved the issue.

I found this link that explain all: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm#splash

I was connecting the PC with an old 17" CRT monitor, so the mainboard's bios display bad and prevent to enter in the setup. I use a LCD and it work correctly. Now display error "monitor not found" if I use the DVI connector of the monitor, while work if I use the analog VGA connector.

I think it would be better to inform buyers about this problem in the reference manual of the mainboard, than in a support page very difficult to reach.

Only two things I would say about this mainboard:

1) The beeps that the M.B. play at bootup (even in a simple system restart) are unusefull to users when there is no problems. This should be make selectable by the user to have or not audio beep. Expecially for a M.B. that is designed for HT PC like DG43GT is; PC's like this shoud be the more silent on the market. Users buy these sistems for these reasons.

2) I seen that there is always the problem of the message "monitor not found" when using PCI-E VGA card. Intel make update to this function in every bios update it release.

Since there is impossible to control every kind of VGA card how many work shoud make Intel ingeneers to update this function in the bios? I think it would be more economic for intel to use this control only for the integrated VGA or disable the function at all.

Result: Intel save work time and money; User don't get the error (and don't contact technical support); The log function of the mainboard don't went filled up with unnecessary errors.

You agree?

Regards,

Andrea Carli

• 4. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                xB2Spiritx

call intel to get a replacement??

ps : been repairing pc at the age of 7.

• 5. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                  Curious592

I was glad to see some support for my belief that an old 17" CRT could be a problem.  You should have mentioned that at first since everything else is so much newer.  On the original system the monitor isn't much problem except but a new system with non-Aero Vista doesn't even want to change the desktop.

• 6. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                    andreacarli

It's 20 years I repai PC's, I do it with professionality and success at 100%.

In my laboratory I have many LCD and temporary an old CRT to test. I was connecting the pc to this monitor only because was the only desk free to work on.

There is no problem Intel don't support CRT's, who use it on a new pc system?

Other Mainboard from other brands and even Intel ones (I just used on this CRT a DQ965GF...) don't give problems with CRT monitors, so It's important that Intel inform users of this particularity in the main manual.

Regards,

Andrea Carli

In my laboratory I have many LCD and temporary an old CRT to test. I was connecting the pc to this monitor only because was the only desk free to work on.

Other Mainboard from other brands and even Intel ones (I just used on this CRT a DQ965GF...) don't give problems with CRT monitors, so It's important that Intel inform users of this particularity in the main manual.

Regards,

Andrea Carli

Regards,

Andrea Carli

• 7. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                      Curious592

This problem is not specific to Win 7 or add-in graphics cards.  Multiple presses of F2 will still get into BIOS and you may be surprised at what your changes have caused.  At leased you will see what it is.

• 8. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                        bmiller1

I am having the same problem, only i have an LED monitor connected using dvi. F2 will not enter bios, no matter how many times i press it during startup. It doesn't affect the computer too much at this point, although i want to turn off the annoying beeping. It may be an issue if i need to change the boot order to upgrade the operating system. Then i will be upset. This is the first time this has happened to me after 15 years in computers. This is also the first intel motherboard, and maybe the last.

• 9. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                          Curious592

One beep is normal for the new boards, at least for now.  The BIOS is being slimmed down and has been a problem.  Pressing F2 about once a second will enter the BIOS.  If pressed faster, too frequently, will be interpreted as a stuck key.  See the Intel page on Troubleshooting BIOS issues to reset the jumper to force BIOS entry.  The DG45ID is fine at this point.  I now have a very old ATI card and an 8600GT that have seen less than one month use due to incompatibility.  Onboard graphics for the web or most usage is as good as a 9600GT which does not show the memory problems of the 8600GT.  My 17" CRT is not a problem after removing the 8600GT which had the most recent driver.  Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

• 10. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                            bmiller1

Thanks, i tried that, and it still went right to startup. I can see the screen indicating no monitor attached and a couple of eronious messages and then it starts up as per normal. All the time i'm presing f2 about once a second. I gess my only solution is to change the jumper on the motherboard the next time i have it pened up. Frustrating for a new motherboard.

• 11. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                              andreacarli

Bmiller1 I think the problem to enter bios setup is due to keyboard type.

I have no more the problem now and I can't test anymore on this system, but I had the problem because I used a PS2 keyboard while there is inserted an USB wireless keyboard receiver.

So it may be due to the brand of the keyboard I used (rarely I found keyboard uncompatibility with some MB) or because system detect two keyboard and keep the USB one first.

Try this.

Andrea

• 12. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                                bmiller1

That thought crossed my mind. I'm using a usb keyboard. i have a wireless keyboard, but i thought the time to power and recognize it during this fast boot wouldnot work. I'll give it a try.

Thanks

• 13. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                                  Curious592

If you at least get to the log-in screen, don't forget the On-screen keyboard option.  This saved me until I found out how to use my USB keyboard.  Fn + F11 was required to shift to normal use since no number pad is present.  I change the numlock in the BIOS now but the new DG45ID locked up with the old BIOS.  The monitor problem actually occured on a G965WH when I switched a 32-bit Vista hard drive configured as IDE with a 64-bit Vista HD configured as AHCI.  It is best to disable a drive when removing but this was the boot drive.  Whatever happened it was traumatic so I did a clean install.  This makes me leary of trying to do a multi-boot system.

• 14. Re: DG43GT cannot enter bios setup
                                    bmiller1

I switched from a Logitec usb keyboard to a Logitec wireless keyboard, and i was able to get into the bios. The main goal was to check the boot order and silence the beeping at startup. The boot order default is ok but i couldn't find where to silence the beeper. It's not critical, just annoying. Firmware 0019. I did notice the bios recognizes 4GB of Ram, but windows XP only sees 2 GB. Now i'm not sure if it's all being used or not. I know this has been a problem with XP. Everything is working ok, so i'm not going to screw it up, but the Ram buisiness bothers me. It may not be as fast and efficient as i could be.

Thanks for all the help.

1 2 Previous Next