13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 12:37 PM by Jordan1850

Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.

Jordan1850

Hello,

I've written the background of my problem below.  My current problem is that the Edison drive does not appear on my computer and I am unable to connect through serial.  I have the drivers installed and am unable to proceed.

The following image shows how I cannot proceed with the installation (notice that the next button is unclickable).  The power supply is securely attached.

Capture.PNG

Very respectfully,

Jordan

Background:

My Intel Edison has operated perfectly for weeks until my hard drive crashed and I began running it on a loaner computer.  The first problem occurred when my network had a wifi error that appears to have originated with the Edison.  The Edison operated fine throughout the night until morning.  I found that I couldn't connect to wifi on my computer despite the router displaying normal signs.  I unplugged the Edison and reset the wifi and found that everything worked fine until I plugged in the Edison and began SSHing.  This instantly shut down the wifi.  I attempted to reflash my Edison using reboot ota, the firmware appeared to only partially flash.  I say partially because I did not lose my data, but my problem disappeared.  For the next day the Edison operated perfectly fine on my home network, but when I attempted to configure wifi on a new network I received a useless IP address. I could not SSH to it or ping it the command window.  I logged onto this hosts router and found that the mac address was not being blocked and everything seemed normal.  I later went to another network that I regularly use and sure enough was unable to log on there.  Strangely I was able to log on at home perfectly fine.  After all this I decided to reflash the Edison.  Here is where the worst part begins.  After attempting this and failing at 38 percent (perhaps because I forgot to install the Bonjour Services software) I decided to start from scratch and uninstalled the Edison using the Windows installer.  Now I am at my most desperate point.  The Edison drive does not show up on my computer and I am unable to proceed with the installation.

• 1. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello Jordan1850,

When you connect both USB cables, is there any change in the Device Manager? Could you please take a screenshot of your Device Manager?

How did you flash the Edison? Did you use the Flash Tool Lite?

Try installing the drivers following this guide: IoT - Step 2: Install drivers | Intel® Developer Zone. You will be able to install the USB drivers and the FTDI drivers separately.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
            Jordan1850

Hi DiegoV_Intel,

I tried it with both USB cables connected as shown in the instructional picture.  I will take a screenshot of my Device Manager when I'm home and can try again.  I remember that my computer read an "unkown device" (in the past it called it Edison) and said that it installed the drivers.  I will get get back to you later.

Thank you,

Jordan

• 3. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
              Jordan1850

The following screenshots were taken when I followed the instructions from the link you provided (these are the instructions that I followed for the initial set up months ago).

Device Manager 1.PNGUSB Device Not Recognized.PNG

This is after installing the USB drivers for the Edison.  I will try again in a few days once I can use my normal computer.

Very respectfully,

Jordan

• 4. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
                DiegoV_Intel

Hello Jordan1850,

Are you powering the Edison board with a DC power supply?

From the screenshot above, I see that there is a COM port recognized, and it seems to be the COM port of the Edison's console. Have you tried to access it?

Let us know the results once you have tested it in your normal computer.

Regards,

Diego.

• 5. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
                  Jordan1850

Hi Diego,

Yes, I saw that the drive not showing up is attributed to a faulty power supply in the tutorial, but I'm positive that mine is perfectly fine at 12VDC.

I tried to connect to the serial port through Putty, but I was unable to.

I'm sorry I did not reply yesterday, this is finals week for me.

Very respectfully,

Jordan

• 6. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
                    DiegoV_Intel

Hello Jordan1850,

When there are issues caused by the power supply, they are not because of the voltage but the output current. In some cases the output current of the power supply is not enough to power the Arduino Expansion Board. A power supply unit of 12V@1A is recommended.

Another cause of the issue might be the USB cable. Could you try using another cable just to check if there aren't issues with it?

Also, make sure you are using a USB 2.0 port. Sometimes there are unexpected behaviors when using a USB 3.0 port to connect the Edison.

I would also like to know what you got when you tried to access the console through PuTTY. Did the COM port appear in the Device Manager? Did PuTTY throw any error, or the screen was simply empty and without any response from the keyboard?

Do you have access to an Ubuntu machine to check if the Edison is recognized in a PC with different OS?

Regards,

Diego.

• 7. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
                      Jordan1850

Hi Diego,

I think that the problem is not as simple as power supply.  I now have my old computer working with a new hard drive.  I followed the steps exactly as shown and when the USBs were plugged in got the following error:

FT232R USB UART.PNG

I believe that this is a problem with the drivers on the Edison.  As I have said I cannot SSH to the Edison.  I have tried every port using two different Windows7 computers.  I don't have access to an Ubuntu machine.  I found a user that had a similar problem to me here:

No Edison Drive After Failed Flash

The difference is that that user can SSH.

Very respectfully,

Jordan

• 8. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
                        DiegoV_Intel

Hello Jordan1850,

It looks like you let Windows to install the drivers automatically; however the automatic driver installation fails. You have to install the drivers manually.

Try installing the drivers manually in your new hard drive. Once the drivers are installed, connect the Edison and check the Device Manager for the COM ports. Also check if a drive called Edison is displayed in Windows Explorer when you connect the Edison's USB port.

Regards,

Diego.

• 9. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
                          Jordan1850

Hi Diego,

Thank you for the directions.  I followed your instructions, but cannot yet access the Edison by SSH nor can I proceed with the installation by clicking the next button.  Are is my current situation:

Device Manager Screenshot 12-11.PNGMerrifield Driver.PNG

Can you help me further?

Very respectfully,

Jordan

• 10. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
                            DiegoV_Intel

Hello Jordan1850,

It seems that the COM port for the serial port is recognized; consequently you should be able to access the Edison's console. Try to access the console using PuTTY. The COM port that you have to use is COM4 (USB Serial Port).

In the following site there is a guide about how to access the console through PuTTY: IoT - Step 5: Set up a serial terminal | Intel® Developer Zone.

Once you have accessed the Edison's console run the following command to check what image version the Edison has: configure_edison --version

If you can't access the console through PuTTY please post a screenshot of the PuTTY window to check what the console status is.

Additionally, you could try to flash the Edison with an alternative method. This method uses a script called flashall. Check the following document where there is a guide about how to run the flashall script. If you can't perform this method please post a screenshot of the error message or the output you get.

Regards,

Diego.

• 11. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
                              Jordan1850

Hi Diego,

I am unable to communicate with the Edison via Putty.  I cannot type root in or even move the cursor by pressing return.  It is unresponsive despite having an apparently valid session.  I am no stranger to Putty since I have been using it and WinSCP to run the Edison for months.  Here are the screenshots.

Putty Capture.PNG

I am at a total loss.  My original trouble began after running the Edison overnight collecting data.  When I woke up in the morning and attempted to access the SDcard via WinSCP I found that I had no access to wifi on my PC or on my phone.  This was despite having good indicator lights on my router and modem.  I reset my router and modem and attempted to configure_edison --wifi with Putty.  As soon as I connected to the network all devices on the network suddenly lost wifi.  I reset the router and modem again and the same thing occured.  Somehow, despite working perfectly fine when I went to bed I woke up and all of a sudden my Edison was doing this.  I attempted to reflash the Edison using the latest image and phone flash tool lite.  This failed part way through.  I then attempted to flash the Edison through Putty following an online instruction exactly.  The Edison only partly flashed.  Somehow it fixed the wifi problem at my home network, but when I brought the Edison to school I could no longer get

a usable IP address.  If I typed the IP address into a browser it just timed out and I was unable to SSH to the Edison.  This was despite doing so perfectly fine the previous day prior to all these problems.  Finding no help online (at least that I could interpret) I attempted to reinstall the drivers.  First I uninstalled them using w_iot_2015.0.028.  That brought me to my current situation.

Very respectfully,

Jordan

• 12. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
                                DiegoV_Intel

Hello Jordan1850,

Let's try to re-flash the Edison using the flashall method. The flashall method doesn't require the Flash Tool Lite, and it might fix the Edison. In order to perform this method, please follow these steps:

1. Download the following Yocto image:  Intel Edison Software Release 2.1

2. Decompress the image files in a directory on your PC. It might be in your Desktop.

3. Download the dfu-util.exe file and copy it into the same directory where you decompressed the image files.

4. Open the Command Prompt (cmd.exe), navigate to the directory where the image files are, and run the flashall script. Please check the following document where this process is detailed: How to Run the Flashall Script. The dfu-util.exe file is attached to that document, so you can download it from there.

5. The flash process should start. Follow the instructions that appear in the screen and wait for the process to be done.

If you get errors during the process, please take a screenshot to see the status of the flashall method.

** I realized that I mentioned the flashall method before but I didn't post the link to the document. Sorry about that

Regards,

Diego.

• 13. Re: Intel Edison Drive drive does not appear on computer.
                                  Jordan1850

Hi Diego,

Thank you very much for all the help.  It worked perfectly!

Very respectfully,

Jordan