1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 12, 2015 6:31 AM by VOliveira

RAID1 offline. RST shows Clear Metadata option. Will I lose data?

VOliveira

Hi everyone

Hope anyone can help me out. I have 2 x 1.5Tb in RAID1 plus 2 x 3TB (no RAID) in a NAS. I replaced a faulty motherboard and reinstalled OS in one of the 3TB drives. While pc was on, I hotswapped the other 3TB drive with an SSD that I had placed backups to. From that monent on, my RAID1 array from the other two drives became offline. Couldn't understand the relation, but it happened. I was seeing the array just fine in windows.

So I went in and installed Rapid Storage Technology to see what happened. Both 1.5Tb units from the RAID1 are offline due to invalid metadata. It shows a "Clear Metadata" option to make drives available again. Clicking it said that I'll lose my data. Is this true, for a RAID1 array? How can I recover from this?

Kind regards

• 1. Re: RAID1 offline. RST shows Clear Metadata option. Will I lose data?
          VOliveira

Well.. After waiting for a safe opinion that didn't came, I went ahead and clicked the Clear Metadata option. Although Intel Rapid Storage application warns data will be erased it was not erased. data was intact, and it ended up being just the same as reverting to a non raid disk.

Let this be a fact for everyone in the same setup as me. Keep in mind that data integrity only happened because of it being a RAID1!

Regards