1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2009 12:21 PM by PeterUK

Core 2 Extreme QX6850 or Core I-7 860???

jtsaud01

Hello to all....I'm about to build a new system and I'm trying to decide what to do.  I already have a Core 2 Extreme QX6850 processor, 775 Socket, but I can get a Core I-7 860 processor, 1156 socket,  for like a hundred bucks.  Where the problem lays is that whichever processor I pick, I'm going to have to buy a new motherboard.  I'm really not sure which processor is better, and if I have to buy a motherboard, I'd really prefer to buy one I'll be able to use again.  I know if I use the Extreme processor, and I buy a 775 motherboard, I'll have to buy a whole new motherboard next time I buy a computer.  I'm pretty sure I'll have to do the same with the 1156 motherboard, but if I chose not to buy another motherboard, there would still be better processors I could move up to.  Anyone have any advice??  Finally if you do make a recommendations one way or the other, would you recommend a few good motherboards that would go with your choice?  Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Core 2 Extreme QX6850 or Core I-7 860???
          PeterUK

The i7 860 is like 15-20% better then the QX6850 regardless of clock speed.

Both 775 and 1156 Sockets are dead ends for upgrading the CPU the 1366 has the option to go to a Six-Core i7 in march next year but really I think Intel will release another sockets that will have SATA port with RAID from the CPU with integrated duel 16x PCI-e 2.0 support and maybe tri-channel RAM again by Q4 of 2010.

So I go for the i7 with 4GB 1600Mhz of ram and boards I suggest you look at are:

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4/P , GA-P55A-UD4/P (with or without P)

ASUS P7P55D PRO, P7P55D-E Pro