6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2015 6:30 AM by VOliveira

Raid 1 Offline. RST asks to Clear Metadata. Will I lose my data?

VOliveira

Hello everyone

A recent motherboard change somehow made my 2 x 1.5Tb Raid 1 array offline.

In Intel Rapid Storage Technology, they are marked as offline, with a link to "Clear Metadata" in order to make them available again. Clicking it says I will lose my data. is this true for my RAID 1?

Or does this message apply to a RAID 0?

How can at least be able to see the files and copy them somewhere else?

Details: Board is an Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe. In BIOS, no raid volume is listed, but drives are unavailable for creating a new one.

Many thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Raid 1 Offline. RST asks to Clear Metadata. Will I lose my data?
          JFFulcrum

To copy data you need to take off one HDD (only one) and install it into other PC. Copy all data from taken one to safe place, and clean metadata from second HDD. Return first, system likely will detect RAID1 array degraded. Click to cleaned (second) HDD and select 'restore array using this disk'.

• 2. Re: Raid 1 Offline. RST asks to Clear Metadata. Will I lose my data?
            VOliveira

Tried it in a different PC, AHCI and RAID mode, but no good. RAID controller says unknown disk at start, and when booting into windows it isn't recognized, even in disk management utility.

Does clearing RAID metadata in a Raid 1 setup actually clears data? Makes no sense, but I don't want to risk it...

• 3. Re: Raid 1 Offline. RST asks to Clear Metadata. Will I lose my data?
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello VOliveira:

Than you for contacting the Intel Communities.

There is another option to get the RAID working again.

1. Backup your data in a different driver/PC.

2. Set the SATA mode to "RAID" at BIOS level.

3. Create the desired RAID configuration.

4. Copy all your data to your drives recently configured as RAID.

I know this would be a longer procedure, but by doing this, you will make sure your data is secure.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: Raid 1 Offline. RST asks to Clear Metadata. Will I lose my data?
                VOliveira

Hello Esteban

Thank you for the reply.

I wouldn't be capable of doing step 1 because, as I already mentioned in the previous post, I plugged one of the RAID1 drives in my second PC but it isn't showing in the OS (with AHCI in BIOS).

In that same PC, I switched to RAID mode in BIOS, and upon boot the controller says "Unknown Disk" in red (other drives say Non Raid in green, as expected). If I try to boot to the OS it fails for being in RAID mode.

• 5. Re: Raid 1 Offline. RST asks to Clear Metadata. Will I lose my data?
                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello VOliveira:

Are you able to see the drives in the BIOS? If not, there may be an issue with the drives, SATA cables or SATA ports in the Motherboard.

One of the purposes of RAID configurations is security, which may be affecting the reading of the drive in the second PC.

When moving a RAID to a different Motherboard it is not secure that it will work or recognize the data in the second Motherboard.

My recommendation would be to look for third party data recovery software and attempt to recover this information.

Another possible workaround would be to look for the same model of Motherboard you previously had and connect your drives to see if the system recognizes the data.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 6. Re: Raid 1 Offline. RST asks to Clear Metadata. Will I lose my data?
                    VOliveira

Well.. After waiting for a safe opinion that didn't came, I went ahead and clicked the Clear Metadata option. Although Intel Rapid Storage application warns data will be erased it was not erased. data was intact, and it ended up being just the same as reverting to a non raid disk.

Let this be a fact for everyone in the same setup as me. Keep in mind that data integrity only happened because of it being a RAID1!

Regards