2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 8:57 AM by mikec_intel

Workaround solution for win 10 Build 10586

kozsg

Hello everyone,

I got ICS with windows 10 pre-installed and updated it to the latest version without knowing that i would brick it. After searching these forums i came to the conclusion that the latest windows update installs new drivers that messes up the ICS, rendering it unusable. I tried to windows restore without any luck. The general idea is to fresh install windows 10 (without loosing the license), update ICS bios (version 31), disabling driver updates from windows update and then update to the latest version of windows 10 (Build 10586).

WARNING
      Use this guide at your own risk! I am not responsible for any damage or loss of your data or entirely bricking your intel compute stick.

Step 1 - Fresh installation of windows 10

ICS sticks that came with windows 10 pre-installed have windows 10 Home x86 license.

Windows 10 Home x86 iso

10240.16384.150709-1700.th1_clientcore_ret_x86fre_en-gb_ef4b4cfd1f12bf4cbb089a306e5a496cdc3cfd89.esd (google it for download links)

For converting ESD to ISO use this tool OneDrive

from this forum Windows 10 Forums

Once you have converted the ESD file to ISO, use rufus to make a bootable usb stick. None of my USB3 sticks worked, so i used a USB2 stick.
      Rufus download link Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Use this settings for rufus

rufus.jpg

After Booting from usb, do a clean install of windows 10 (delete all partitions and select the unallocated space to install windows 10).

Step 2 - BIOS update to the latest version

Download latest bios form here Downloads for Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC

Step 3 - Configuring Windows 10

After installing all drivers you need to disable driver updates from windows, link to the guide is here Stop automatic driver updates on Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows

After that you are good to go, you can update windows to the latest version.

This screenshot is from my intel compute stick.

intel compute stick.png

I hope this post helps and sorry for my bad English.