2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 3:55 PM by EstebanC_Intel

Where to download i7-6500U driver?

Albylion

I just got a new Dell Inspiron laptop with a 6th Generation i7-6500U CPU.  It's Dell, so I'm wiping my hard drive and reinstalling Windows without all the bloatware (especially considering Dell's new Superfish-type self-signed certificate risks).  I'm first gathering all the drivers (.inf or .exe) for my new system.  I'd like to grab any processor drivers directly from Intel, since they'll likely be more pertinent than Dell's generic 10-in-1-type drivers, but I'm having trouble finding anything.  (Intel's system appears to be partially down at the moment, giving me an "Error 500": "We're sorry--this page is temporarily down" at the Download Center.)  I see there is an Update Drivers link at downloadcenter.intel.com, but I'm not interested in updating brand new drivers; I merely want to download and store them on another PC.  Likewise, I don't need to run a system detect to check which I have.  I just want the chipset drivers, straight from Intel if possible.  Is there any way to do this without searching and "updating" my drivers whenever the server comes back up?

• 1. Re: Where to download i7-6500U driver?
          Albylion

From here: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/iduufaq

Why does the Intel® Driver Update Utility not recognize an Intel device on my system?

Intel provides generic versions of software and drivers. If your computer manufacturer altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes, the Intel® Driver Update Utility may not recognize the device.

Guess I'm better off with generic Microsoft or Dell drivers (or an AMD).

• 2. Re: Where to download i7-6500U driver?
            EstebanC_Intel

Hello Albylion:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

Regarding drivers, the recommendation when using OEM computers, computers that were built by a manufacturer like Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc, is to download the drivers directly from the manufacturer website.

Since they designed and integrated the system, they are the ones that provide the drivers, different features and configuration may change from one to another and for compatibility purposes, the recommendation is to download the drivers from their website.

Regards,

Esteban C