3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 2:03 PM by jasonNUC

"Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" Error When Trying to Install Windows 8.1 From USB

Avenue71

Since buying this NUC yesterday i'm having nothing but problems.  I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 from a USB device but get the "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device".  Here's what i've done so far: -

- After assembling the NUC, I turned it on and pressed F2 to go into the BIOS

- In the Boot Order, I unchecked UEFI to turn it off, leaving Legacy checked

- Under the Legacy tab, I moved the USB device up to first

- Saved and booted

I get the following message on the screen after it re-boots -

"PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable Intel NUC"
      "PXE-M0F Exiting Intel Boot Agent"

Then I get -

"Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device"

Here's the thing - my SSD drive, memory and USB device all show up and are recognized by the BIOS.  I have a feeling the boot order is somehow booting to PXE boot first, so I went in and disabled network boot and I still get the "reboot and select proper device" message.

My BIOS version is as follows, not sure if this is needed:  RYBDW135.86A.0350.2015.0812.1722

So, what do I do here?  If I can't resolve in the next two days i'll probably just return the NUC and buy a laptop that works out of the box, I'm going to be needing a working machine here really soon.  Hoping someone can help.

Thanks