1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 9:55 AM by CMata_Intel

Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?

Brooklev

Hello Sages,

I am a public school teacher in NYC trying to get my students building with the Galileo Gen 2. Intel gave my school 100 of the boards with the red over current light. While it is wonderful to have boards in the hands of my students, we are struggling with some serious frustrations. Any advice on the following situations would be greatly appreciated by me and 100 high school students.

1) I was advised by Diego earlier that these particular boards must be powered only from a wall outlet through their original PSUs, so we will only be making wired devices. A few of my students are already heartbroken about this, so if anyone has discovered a workaround, we would love to know it.

2) All our students have Chromebooks and would love to program their Galileos from these laptops. Since the Chromebooks can't run a local app, I've searched for a web-based way to run and deliver Arduino code. So far I know about Codebender and ChromeDuino. Codebender does not support the Galileo and while ChromeDuino does not seem to say which boards it does and does not support, I downloaded it (admittedly not to a Chromebook) and could not get it to make a serial connection to a Galileo. Does anyone know of an online tool for Arduino code that works reliably with the Galileo Gen 2?

3) The only desktops I have to offer my students are some old iMacs running OSX 10.7.5 (the most recent OS they will tolerate).

-- I loaded them with the Intel Arduino install 1.6.0. (The iMacs would not load the Intel kernel under any newer Arduino installs.)

-- I loaded them with the FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7 update.

For a few weeks, the Arduino software would make the serial connection to the Galileo and upload sketches to it but it would do so with great irregularity.

-- The Arduino software does not display the usable serial port immediately or predictably.

-- The usable serial port will sometimes vanish while the Arduino software is running, requiring rebooting, quitting and relaunching Arduino, unplugging and replugging the Galileo from/to the iMac, etc.

Experimenting on my own, I was able to load quite a few sketches despite these irregularities, so I set up all our classroom iMacs with this software combination and set my students to work.

Then suddenly today, when I was congratulating myself for getting a fair number of students programming their boards, USB madness swept over half the iMacs.

-- When the Arduino was connected by USB to the iMacs, the usb keyboard and mouse stopped working.

-- At times the screen shuffled menu options and deleted characters or typed random ones, as if something were cycling through all the key combinations available.

-- The behavior would cease when the Galileo was unplugged from the iMac.

-- Through a time consuming ritual of unplugging everything, quitting Arduino, restarting the iMac and plugging in the Galileo 1st, the keyboard 2nd, relaunching Arduino and then trying 4 or 5 times to find the serial port, it was sometimes possible to get the iMac/Arduino/Galileo combination working again, but this is obviously not viable for a classroom situation.

I am hoping I am doing something very simply and stupidly wrong and that someone out there can point out the error of my ways. (I teach programming but I am not a programmer. I have limited facility with command line, Linux, json and all the rest of the impressive stuff with which I hope to become more adept. I follow directions well and I'm organized.) My school also has a bunch of Digital Sandbox boards. I understand these boards are very stable. I did consider my teen students to be beyond the Digital Sandbox, but I am considering regressing to them if I cannot get the Galileos to behave more reliably.

Thank you incredibly much to anyone who can point me towards solutions to any of our problems.

Yours most sincerely, Lev

• 1. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
          CMata_Intel

Hi Lev,

1) You can use a battery in order to make a wireless device but this is not recommended, as Diego said is highly recommended to use a power supply. Check the FAQ. If you want to give it a try with a battery you must not connect anything to the USB client port because this port could request energy and this will damage the board. I suggest you to keep using a power supply in order to avoid damaging the boards. Another way to power the Galileo Gen2 is through PoE ->POE - "With installation of PoE module"

2) Take a look at Wyliodrin, Board Setup for Galileo. I think this tool will be very helpful

3) First, I suggest you to update the firmware in the boards. The problems you were having could be due to the voltage and current provided by the USB ports of the PCs, there could be some restrictions in them that are affecting the performance of the devices. This could be affecting the performance with the USB client while connected to the PC.

Regards,

Charlie

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
            Brooklev

Thanks Charlie! I'll get right on these. -Lev

• 3. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
              Brooklev

Hello Charlie and Any Other Helpful Folks,

Here's the feedback to Charlie's advice so far:

1) battery power: This is the least of our problems. We'll make wired devices, if we can even get that far.

2) Wyliodrin: This is a really cool platform but the setup required for each device is a bit much. The website claims there's an educator account but gives no information on it. Hopefully such an account would have some way to batch-register devices so that one does not need to download a separate installation file for each device. I guess I will have to write to them, but even a little info on the site would be encouraging to those of us in schools.

3) I'm afraid updating the firmware from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 did not eliminate the instability. It's still a crapshoot whether or not the serial port will connect when the Galileo is plugged in to the iMac.

Charlie writes "The problems you were having could be due to the voltage and current provided by the USB ports of the PCs, there could be some restrictions in them that are affecting the performance of the devices. This could be affecting the performance with the USB client while connected to the PC." In observation, it seems more like the power from the board is upsetting the iMac. The iMac is what experiences the strange behavior when connected to the Galileo (submenus cycling through a dropdown, blank spaces being endlessly inserted into sketches).

Might connecting the Galileo to the iMac through a usb hub prevent voltage-related problems?

Has anyone out there actually experienced stable interaction between a Galileo and an iMac running 10.7.5? I would hate to think I'm banging my head against an unsolvable problem. It doesn't seem like just getting this board to play nicely with a computer should be so frustrating!

Thanks again for any help, Lev

• 4. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                CMata_Intel

Hi Lev,

If you use a USB hub there shouldn’t be a difference, but you could try. Is this happening in all the iMac PCs you have available? Are you sure this PCs have all the ports available and there aren’t restrictions?

Are you using 2.0 or 3.0 USB ports? You should use 2.0 usb ports.

Have you tried with different USB cables?

Are you using the power supply that comes with the board?

Have you tried to connect another device to the same USB port?

Please be very careful with this, if the PC has some problem with the USB port it could also damage the board.

Regards,

Charlie

• 5. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                  Ramya-WindRiver

Hello

You mentioned that you are looking for a web based way to program the Galileo board.

May I suggest that you look at

MCU Commercial Free RTOS for small embedded edge devices | Rocket

This is cloud connected web based operating system that supports Galileo gen2.If you have any more questions on Rocket, you can visit the Rocket support forum.

IoT - Wind River* Rocket | Intel® Developer Zone

Hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                    Brooklev

Thanks, I will check that out ASAP.

Lev

• 7. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                      Brooklev

If you use a USB hub there shouldn’t be a difference, but you could try. Is this happening in all the iMac PCs you have available? Are you sure this PCs have all the ports available and there aren’t restrictions?

The instability is prevalent across all 15 iMacs. (I've also had trouble with the board on my Macbook and Mac Mini.)

The iMac usb ports work fine with every other device so far.

Ports are usb 2.0.

The Instability is prevalent with every student's usb cable. (They came with kits custom  made for the Galileo Gen 2.)

usb.jpg

This is the usb cable we have.

We are only using the power supplies that came with the boards in the original Intel boxes.

So far it seems more like the boards are damaging the iMacs. When each board finally decides to connect and function, they do very well (to my inexpert eye). We just can't rely on that happening at any particular point. Right now we're doing a bit better by only plugging in the boards when it's time to download code and unplugging the keyboard before plugging in the board. I sure hope there's something obvious I've missed.

Thanks, Lev

• 8. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                        CMata_Intel

Hi Lev,

This could be due to the drivers in your Mac. You said that you are using the OS 10.7.5 and this may be causing some errors with the USB drivers that the Mac is using related with the board and the other devices.

The computer you are using has some default drivers but may be out of date so you will need to update them. You can check this link Mac Developer Library in order to update the drivers.

Please also make sure to install JRE6 Legacy, so the IDE work properly.

Regards,

Charlie

• 9. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                          Brooklev

Shouldn't the FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7 update resolve the USB issues?

• 10. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                            CMata_Intel

Hi Lev,

What is the result of running uname -a in the Terminal of the iMacs you are using. The behavior you are having could be a restriction or limitation in the kernel the iMacs have.

Regards,

Charlie

• 11. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                              Brooklev

Hi Charlie,

Terminal returns:

Darwin 325-22.local 11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2: Thu Aug 23 16:26:45 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.32.7~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Thanks for staying with me!

Lev

• 12. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                                CMata_Intel

Hi Lev,

Thank you for the data, I will investigate if there is a way to use the boards without problems using your configuration

Regards,

Charlie

• 13. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                                  CMata_Intel

Hi Lev,

We are trying to set-up your environment but we would like to know the model of iMacs you are using. Please let us know about this so we could try to replicate the behavior you are having with your boards.

Kind regards,

Charlie

• 14. Re: Galileo Weirdness with Mac OS 10.7.5?
                                    Brooklev

Hi Charlie,

I am not at school to check the exact model of the iMacs. I can send that to you Monday. They are the white iMacs from 2004-6, not sure if they are G5 or Intel machines.

Thanks, Lev

1 2 Previous Next