I am a public school teacher in NYC trying to get my students building with the Galileo Gen 2. Intel gave my school 100 of the boards with the red over current light. While it is wonderful to have boards in the hands of my students, we are struggling with some serious frustrations. Any advice on the following situations would be greatly appreciated by me and 100 high school students.
1) I was advised by Diego earlier that these particular boards must be powered only from a wall outlet through their original PSUs, so we will only be making wired devices. A few of my students are already heartbroken about this, so if anyone has discovered a workaround, we would love to know it.
2) All our students have Chromebooks and would love to program their Galileos from these laptops. Since the Chromebooks can't run a local app, I've searched for a web-based way to run and deliver Arduino code. So far I know about Codebender and ChromeDuino. Codebender does not support the Galileo and while ChromeDuino does not seem to say which boards it does and does not support, I downloaded it (admittedly not to a Chromebook) and could not get it to make a serial connection to a Galileo. Does anyone know of an online tool for Arduino code that works reliably with the Galileo Gen 2?
3) The only desktops I have to offer my students are some old iMacs running OSX 10.7.5 (the most recent OS they will tolerate).
-- I loaded them with the Intel Arduino install 1.6.0. (The iMacs would not load the Intel kernel under any newer Arduino installs.)
-- I loaded them with the FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7 update.
For a few weeks, the Arduino software would make the serial connection to the Galileo and upload sketches to it but it would do so with great irregularity.
-- The Arduino software does not display the usable serial port immediately or predictably.
-- The usable serial port will sometimes vanish while the Arduino software is running, requiring rebooting, quitting and relaunching Arduino, unplugging and replugging the Galileo from/to the iMac, etc.
Experimenting on my own, I was able to load quite a few sketches despite these irregularities, so I set up all our classroom iMacs with this software combination and set my students to work.
Then suddenly today, when I was congratulating myself for getting a fair number of students programming their boards, USB madness swept over half the iMacs.
-- When the Arduino was connected by USB to the iMacs, the usb keyboard and mouse stopped working.
-- At times the screen shuffled menu options and deleted characters or typed random ones, as if something were cycling through all the key combinations available.
-- The behavior would cease when the Galileo was unplugged from the iMac.
-- Through a time consuming ritual of unplugging everything, quitting Arduino, restarting the iMac and plugging in the Galileo 1st, the keyboard 2nd, relaunching Arduino and then trying 4 or 5 times to find the serial port, it was sometimes possible to get the iMac/Arduino/Galileo combination working again, but this is obviously not viable for a classroom situation.
I am hoping I am doing something very simply and stupidly wrong and that someone out there can point out the error of my ways. (I teach programming but I am not a programmer. I have limited facility with command line, Linux, json and all the rest of the impressive stuff with which I hope to become more adept. I follow directions well and I'm organized.) My school also has a bunch of Digital Sandbox boards. I understand these boards are very stable. I did consider my teen students to be beyond the Digital Sandbox, but I am considering regressing to them if I cannot get the Galileos to behave more reliably.
Thank you incredibly much to anyone who can point me towards solutions to any of our problems.
Yours most sincerely, Lev