Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Triple monitor resolution limits - full resolution not working on 3rd monitor

KVill2
Beginner

Let me preface this by saying that I've already consulted the document at:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm Graphics Drivers — Configuration 3-Displays FAQ

Here is my configuration. I have a Lenovo T440 that runs a i5-4300U cpu with the Intel HD 4400 graphics. This is running connected to a docking station and the monitors are all feeding off of a single DisplayPort on the docking station. I am running three monitors.

The first monitor is a Dell 3415W, native resolution 3440 x 1440.

The second monitor is a Dell 2515H, native resolution 2560x1440.

The third monitor is a Lenovo T2224P, native resolution 1920x1080.

Windows 7 (64-bit)

Display Driver:

Intel HD Graphics Family

2/18/2015

The Lenovo dock only supports a single digital out (DVI or DP, but not both simultaneously). I purchased the two Dell monitors specifically because they have DP pass through capabilities.

Here is how they are configured:

Dock --- DP ---> 3415W --- DP ---> 2515H --- DP ---> T2224P

The two Dell monitors have no problem running at full resolution. The Lenovo however does not. If I try to set it to 1920x1080, the monitor goes blank and displays nothing. If however, I set it to 1680 x 1050, it works correctly.

I have tried updating video drivers to the latest from Lenovo and to the latest from Intel. The Intel drivers say that the drivers don't need to be updated.

Now, looping back to the opening statement, the FAQ states that the maximum resolution for each display is 3200x2000 @ 60Hz. That's a total of 19,200,000 pixels. The native resolution that I'd like to run at is only 10,713,600 pixels. The resolution that works correctly is 10,404,000 pixels, so not that much different.

So, the question is - will the Intel HD 4400 chipset support running all 3 monitors at native resolution? Running the T2224P at a lower resolution is blurry and not terribly usable but that's the only option that I seem to be able to get working at the moment. What do I have to do to get this functioning or is it a lost cause such that I should investigate a USB video adapter or some external solution? The Lenovo documentation specifically states that the display adapter can support 3 monitors but it does not specify resolutions. As an addendum, I'd like to keep all of the monitor connections digital as moving one to an analog VGA cable makes the picture and text fuzzy and the colors washed out.

Thanks in advance for reading all of this.

Message was edited by author: Added windows & driver versions

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello khariV,

The processor it self is capable of supporting this resolution with straight connections, note the picture below;

Configuring your system to this specific set up might end up with the following scenarios;

The docking station that you're using is considered an adapter for Intel and this might be causing some kind of interference between the capability of the processor and your system, Intel does not recommend using adapters, bear in mind that your computer manufacturer should provide you with more information about setting 3-Display on your model since it might be possible that your computer requires a different procedure to set up this configuration.

For further reference http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-mobile-u-y-processor-lines-vol-1-datasheet.html Intel® Core™ Processors (U/Y-Processor Lines) Datasheet, Vol. 1

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos