8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 7:35 AM by mikec_intel

DE3815TYKE - USB always powered even when off

tom34.fr

Hello,

We are a french company using DE3815TYKE as our main platform, buying around 1500 units / year (thru Techdata/Maverick).

We released a new product using the same NUC and an external USB HSPA modem. Sometimes (around once a week), the modem hangs (seems to be a problem with modem's USB controller) and we have NO WAY to hard reset it (DC cut), since there is no way to stop USB power from the NUC, even by a software shutdown.

We tried to shutdown, and let the bios power up at a specific time, but even when the NUC is shutdown, USB are still powered.

Since there is no way to cut USB power, when the modems hangs, there is no way to bring it back to life (except DC unplug of course).

This problem was tried using several bios versions (046, 044, 019...) and all bios parameters but the problem stays the same.

Is this a bug inside the BIOS ? If so when will you correct it ?

Is there a workaround that could lead us to a fast solution ?

Is the problem the same using Celeron version of the NUC ?

This problem is very important to us, and will lead us to switch to another product for upcoming batches.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,

Thomas

• 1. Re: DE3815TYKE - USB always powered even when off
          N.Scott.Pearson

I don't have a TY unit on hand to verify this, but I believe that there is an option in the BIOS to disable powering the USB ports in low power states (including S5 - Soft Off). From power up, use F2 to get into Visual BIOS. Select Advanced and then Devices. There should be a USB tab and within this an option for Portable Device Charging Mode. Set this option to Off.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, you should contact Intel Customer Support directly...

...Scott

• 2. Re: DE3815TYKE - USB always powered even when off
            tom34.fr

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunatly we don't have this "Portable Device Charging Mode" inside the TY bios

Thomas

• 3. Re: DE3815TYKE - USB always powered even when off
              mikec_intel

Hi tom34.fr,

We found a workaround for your issue. It is possible to turn the USB ports off completely; however, the Wake on USB from S4/S5 states will be disable.

Disable the option USB S5 power form Power tab. USB 3.0 and 2.0 stop working as soon as you restart or turn off the NUC.

The workaround is working with BIOS versions 39, 41, 43, 44 and 44.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: DE3815TYKE - USB always powered even when off
                tom34.fr

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this feedback.

You are right, this works for shutdown, which is a good news.

However, reset still doesn't cut USB power, and we have to deal with auto power on timer to be able to workaround the problem.

I find very odd that a reset doesn't cutoff the USB power, since we all know most of the USB chipset are crap and need frequent power reset.

Since cuting off power is possible by software, it should be possible to do the same when resetting, no ?

Again, we are using around 1500 pcs / year, so maybe Intel could think about this problem for us ?

Regards,

Thomas

• 5. Re: DE3815TYKE - USB always powered even when off
                  pr0xzen

What OS are your units using? If Linux, i would suggest a script to unload and (re)load (thus reinitialize) the HSPA modem module during boot. Or if that doesn't cut it, unload and (re)load the USB stack itself. Would this solve your issue?

• 6. Re: DE3815TYKE - USB always powered even when off
                    tom34.fr

Hi,

Yep, we're using Linux.

We cannot unload the HSPA modem since it's using USB stack.

We already tried to unload USB module using rmmod, and also using ACPI commands thru acpi_call, without success (it seems the usefull commands are not implemented by Intel in acpi's asl program).

If you know other software tricks to try, you're welcome !!

Regards,

Thomas

• 7. Re: DE3815TYKE - USB always powered even when off
                      pr0xzen

The more I read and dig through, the more this (unable to cut power to USB) seems to be the going norm since ~2011 - not "just" a current Intel NUC issue. Power supply seems hardwired to the port(s). The only success stories I've come across so far, is either some USB hubs confirmed supporting USB Port Power Control

• D-Link-DUB-H7-High-Speed-7-Port (Old version: Silver)
                      • Elecom: U2H-G4S
                      • Sanwa Supply: USB-HUB14GPH
                      • Targus, Inc.: PAUH212
                      • Hawking Technology: UH214

And - Raspberry Pi ver. B+ - where they've done a hack on the short protection for the USB controller (hw feature).
                      Raspberry Pi • View topic - Raspberry Pi B+ turn usb power off

I'll be back if I find something more software friendly.

EDIT:

Have you tried writing "-1" to power/autosuspend_delay_ms and writing "on" to power/control (for the modem)? I'm not suggesting this will help with powercycling the modem - but it might aleviate the root cause here: the modem locking up. Very often the case with these units, is that they fail to awaken (properly) from autosuspend. If you stop it from autosuspending at all - would not this (if working), be a better solution than a reset/reboot workaround?

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/power-management.txt

• 8. Re: DE3815TYKE - USB always powered even when off
                        mikec_intel

Hi tom34.fr,

I want to clarify my last statement. I did a test with the NUC and if you disable the BIOS option: USB S5 power from Power tab and save changes (F10).  The USB ports will be off if your restart the NUC or turn it off. However, the Wake on USB from S4/S5 states will be disable.

The workaround is working with BIOS versions 39, 41, 43, 44 and 44.

Please, create a ticket through our Contact Support, we will be able to escalate your case to our upper managers for future NUC upgrades.

Regards,
                        Mike C