Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Is the AC 7265 compatible with Dell Inspiron 15 5000

idata
Employee

Is the AC 7265 compatible with Dell Inspiron 15 5000. My AC 3160 just died, and it's been problematic since I got this laptop, I've had laptop for 2 months.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

ckbeme,

In this particular case, we recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer to discuss the possibility, as they are the only ones entitled to provide the list of adapters that are compatible with their system. It is very important that if you decided to change the wireless adapter, make sure that is done by the OEM or an authorized and certified technician. You can find Dell* contact information here: http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support

We also would like to inform you that Intel does not support integration. Please check this online documentation for further information on this matter: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

idata
Employee
aleki_intel,

Thanks for the reply. I've contacted Dell and this has dragged on for close to 2 months. I've finally convinced them that there has to be an issue with the AC 3160 because too many people are having problems with it. My tech finally agreed that there was a problem with my AC 3160. I told him I didn't want another 3160, fearing I'd just have the same problems.

He checked with his tech people and they told him in the dual band cards for my laptop the choices were the AC 3160 or the AC 7265. So I am at his mercy and told him to ship the 7265. When it got here, the pci slots are different than they are on the 3160.

I'm pretty computer savvy, and was going to replace it myself so I wouldn't have to wait an extra 2 weeks for shipping to and from Dell. But when I saw the instructions for changing the card, I chickened out. I've never had a laptop open. On the card replacement you have to take off the keyboard, take out the battery, take out the optical drive.................. so I'm taking it to a service center that's fairly close. I'm just afraid I'll get laptop over there with card that doesn't fit. More wasted time. I'm getting really frustrated. My desktop, my 4th computer build in Feb 2015, had the MOBO give out about 2 months ago. Support issue was even worse than Dell's. I'm really quite the techie lover, but right now I have no warm fuzzies for either of my computers!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
aleki_intel,

Thanks for the heads up about who can and who cannot touch your laptop. Seems like politics is involved in almost everything today. But I truly appreciate the warning.

The tech I worked with at Dell was very incompetent. The knowledge you shared with me is even more evidence of his skills (or lack of)

I'm looking now to find a warranty repair center that is in my area.

Regards,

ckbeme

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

ckbeme,

We are glad to know that our information helped to be on the right path.

0 Kudos