7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 9:01 PM by VarBuntu

Nuc5i7ryh Displayport crash - really annoying

Rasmus1991

So this thing is really getting on my nerves..

I am currently using an AOC monitor via Mini HDMI to HDMI directly into the screen. Everything works fine this way.

However! If I am trying to connect it via Mini displayport to displayport, it seems that the system or whatever crashes and I get a black screen.

I will then unplug the mDP from the machine and plug it in again and the connection will sometimes work, and most of the times it won't...

I am starting to get really annoyed by this since I had the understanding that the NUC was capable of running UHD at mDP to DP..

I have tried reading everything online and nothing seems to help, I am running the newest BIOS, drivers etc and have bought an expensive cable (1.2) from Lindy.
      If I connect my macbook to the monitor everything works fine.

Please help me with what to do

• 1. Re: Nuc5i7ryh Displayport crash - really annoying
          Amy_Intel

Hello Rasmus1991,

Does the issue persists with the following version Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]?

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Nuc5i7ryh Displayport crash - really annoying
            Rasmus1991

Hi Amy, thank you for your answer. Yes the problem is still there.

• 3. Re: Nuc5i7ryh Displayport crash - really annoying
              Amy_Intel

Have you tried with a BIOS update?

Here are some links in case you haven´t try that Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH and Intel® NUC Boards and Kits — BIOS Update Instructions.

Regards.

• 4. Re: Nuc5i7ryh Displayport crash - really annoying
                VarBuntu

Amy,

I too have the same set up with NUC5i7, 250GB SSD, samsung 4k monitor on miniDP port, 8GB single Slot DDR3L RAM.

I am not able to see the system boot up screen on the 4k monitor, unless I press F2 or F10 the screen remains blank till the OS boots up.

F2 takes me to BIOS and F10 takes me to the boot menu. But while booting I am not able to see the NUC splash screen.

I was able to install windows 10 and ubuntu with out much issues.

The most annoying part is that if I change any setting in the BIOS (orginal version - 0246) the system is not able to boot and restarts repeatedly after giving me a blank screen. when this happens F2 or F10 is of no help, as its not even detecting keyboard or mouse. ( using a wireless keyboad and mouse). The issue persisted even with wired mouse or keyboard.

I was able to recover from this issue by removing the display port connection and just using the key board and mouse connected to the NUC and pressing F2 while booting. I assumed that the the system should be in BIOS and then I connected the monitor. Then I got an almost blank screen with a small dash symbol on the monitor screen. At this stage I knew that the NUC was in BIOS and I tired pressing the keys in an order to load the default BIOS setting, the sequence was F9 Enter F10 Enter. This did not help and the monitor was showing the same dash symbol, as I believe the BIOS was not in a state to take keyboard commands.

At last I pressed the Ctrl + Alt + Del and system restarted. Now the system restarted with the NUC logo and I was able to go into BIOS easily. Loaded the default setting and saved. Booted the OS and then shut down the OS.

As the bios came back to the default state, the system ran as before, but with out NUC splash screen on boot.

So I have the below two issues persisting.

1. No NUC splash screen while NUC is booting up.

2. Any change to BIOS setting is corrupting the BIOS and system becomes un bootable and not able to go to BIOS itself. (Even with a single change like disabling the Network boot or disabling the legacy boot )

I don’t want to flash BIOS with new versions(0247,0249,348 & 350), as per the release notes of the latest BIOS, they are not fixing the issues I have. I just don’t want to get the BIOS corrupted again after flashing it.

Let me know if you have any solution for my issue.

Regards

• 5. Re: Nuc5i7ryh Displayport crash - really annoying
                  Rasmus1991

Amy, I have downloaded and upgraded for the latest version of the beta graphics driver, updated to the latest BIOS etc etc. and the problem persists.

When the screen goes black I can plug out the mini displayport cable and replug it back in, and the screen then works and usually keeps working.

The funny thing is, that when I hook my macbook pro up via the same cable, everything works totally fine. So far, I must say that I am really disappointed with this intel product.. It amazes me that so many others are having the same problems and no solutions has been made. Please advice what to do now

• 6. Re: Nuc5i7ryh Displayport crash - really annoying
                    Amy_Intel

I definitively understand this situation, in order to proceed with an investigation please fill out the following form Default level information for reporting Graphics issues and post it here, please make sure to follow closely all the instructions so we can replicate this.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Nuc5i7ryh Displayport crash - really annoying
                      VarBuntu

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

1. Blank screen while BIOS is loading. - no NUC splash screen or display of BIOS loading screen.

2. Any change to BIOS setting makes system unstable and never boots up.

Notes for Issue 1 : Not able to see the BIOS loading screen on the 4k monitor, unless I press F2 or F10 the screen remains blank till the OS boots up.

F2 takes me to BIOS and F10 takes me to the boot menu. But while BIOS is loading I am not able to see the NUC splash screen.

I was able to install windows 10 and ubuntu with out much issues.

Notes for Issue 2 :

If I change any setting in the BIOS (orginal version - 0246) the system is not able to boot and restarts repeatedly after giving me a blank screen. when this happens F2 or F10 is of no help, as its not even detecting keyboard or mouse. ( using a wireless keyboad and mouse). The issue persisted even with wired mouse or keyboard.

I was able to recover from this issue by removing the display port connection and just using the key board and mouse connected to the NUC and pressing F2 while BIOS is loading. After 5- 10 seconds, I assumed that the the system should be in BIOS and then I connected the monitor. Then I got an almost blank screen with a small dash symbol on the monitor screen. At this stage I knew that the NUC was in BIOS and I tired pressing the keys in an order to load the default BIOS setting, the sequence was F9, Enter, F10, Enter. This did not help and the monitor was showing the same dash symbol, as I believe the BIOS was not in a state to take keyboard commands.

At last I pressed the Ctrl + Alt + Del and system restarted. Now the system restarted with the NUC logo and BIOS loading screen was visible. Then I was able to go into BIOS easily. Loaded the default setting and saved. Booted the OS and then shut down the OS.

As the BIOS came back to the default state, the system ran as before, but with out NUC splash screen or BIOS loading screen.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?
                      If you can offer a % rate please do.

Yes, for the specific scenarios.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel NUC5i7RYH

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                      LFP
                      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Samsung U28E590D 4k monitor

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

Kingston single slot HyperX 8GB DDR3L

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Cable Matters miniDP to DP cable

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

N/A.  Issue is irrelevant of the Operating system.

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

BIOS version 0246

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

N/A

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

Default settings, 4K resolution,  Monitor Input set to Manual and selected Display port.

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

yes

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Intel NUC BIOS setting default.
                      2. Connect monitor to NUC
                      3. press Start button in NUC
                      4. Details of the issue in the Category "description"