1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 11:50 AM by EstebanC_Intel

NUC5i3RYH Freeze

Taolefeng

Hello,

I recently buy a NUC5i3RYH and today I installed Windows 10 Pro N on it. But when I transfer a big file or when the SSD is heavily used, the NUC freeze, the HD LED remains on, and the SSD usage on task manager remains 100%. I can't do anything, even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't respond, I need to force shutdown with the button.

My system is completely updated, BIOS and all Intel NUC drivers including the chipset driver.

Have we got an idea where it came from ? Do I need to secure erase my SSD and reinstall it ?

Thank you

Config:

-NUC5I3RYH

-SanDisk Z400s M.2 2280 M.2 6Gb/s MLC

-Kingston 8Gb ValueRAM DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM

• 1. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
          Apachez

The D54250WYK had a PCN (Product Change Notification) where the SATA daughterboard was faulty and needed a replace in order to function as expected (turned out that the signal strenth wasnt good enough).

Dunno if this is the case for the NUC5i3RYH aswell or not.

Contact intel support is my advice. Could of course be a faulty ssd or faulty windows drivers. What about if you boot on a Ubuntu 15.10 image (livecd) and copy the very same file in there - if it deadlocks this time too (and you cant reach dmesg to find out what the logs says) then its most likely hardware related.

That is either a faulty ssd or faulty/bogus NUC.

Do you have another ssd (preferly a different brand/model) to test?

The tricky part with the faulty SATA dauthterboard as for the D54250WYK's som vendors didnt have any problem with the too weak signal.

• 2. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
            EstebanC_Intel

Hello Taolefeng:

The recommendations provided by Apachez can be performed indeed, they could help your issue.

More steps that can be performed would be:

1. Test the health of your SSD, third party software would be needed.

2. You can look for third party software to clean your drive (CCleaner) to see if this improves the performance of your system.

3. Test the behavior of your system with a different file (similar size if possible) to see if the problem persists.

4. A clean installation of Windows would be a good troubleshooting step if doable.

5. Test the system with a different SSD.

6. Perform a BIOS recovery to make sure all updates are installed.

Related links:

Intel® NUC Boards and Kits — BIOS Recovery Update Instructions

Regards,

Esteban C

• 3. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
              Taolefeng

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

I check the health of my SSD, all seems to be fine.

I also cleaned my drive (Secure Erase), performed a BIOS recovery and I've got the same problem.

I made a second clean install and now the system freeze always, using Explorer, or when I'm browsing the web with Chrome, it's really weird.

I can't check with a different SSD because I don't have another. But I will try Apachez solution with Ubuntu.

• 4. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                EstebanC_Intel

Hello Taolefeng:

Thank you for the information provided.

I will be waiting for your results with the troubleshooting provided by Apachez

If any additional questions are present, do not hesitate to advise us.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 5. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                  Taolefeng

Hello both,

I tried to install Fedora on my NUC and I didn't have any freeze even when I used big files. I also installed Windows 7 and for the moment (I'm installing all update) all is running good

So, I concluded freeze came from Windows 10, I used Windows 10 Pro N. Have you got a solution to use Windows 10 again ?

Thanks,

Taolefeng

• 6. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                    EstebanC_Intel

Hello Taolefengb:

I will be attempting to replicate this situation and will provide you with the outcome and a possible solution for you.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 7. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                      EstebanC_Intel

Hello Taolefengb:

I performed the tests mentioned before, below you can find the results for the tests with the unit we have in our facilities.

I did notice a drop in the transfer speed, that may be because of the size of the file it was transferring at that time.

Hardware used:

Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i3RYK // Almost no differences between this and your model ARK | Compare Intel® Products

RAM: HX318LS11IB2/8  (8GB) DDR3L-1866

m.2 SSD: 80GB Intel 530 Series SSD M.2 80mm

Windows 10* 64-bit (fresh Install)

-Chipset, Graphics, and Management Engine drivers up to date.

-BIOS version 0350 (latest)

Please make sure you have all the drivers (chipset, Management engine, SSD), BIOS updates and Windows Updates are all installed in your system.

You can test the system in secure mode to see if the problem would be related to the drivers.

If after performing these tests, the problem persists, my recommendation would be to contact Intel Customer Support to check the warranty of your product.

SSD health

SSD H.PNG

SSD write and read tests:

SSD test1.PNG

SSD test2.PNG

Transfer tests:

Transfer test 1.PNG

Transfer test 2.PNG

Regards,

Esteban C

• 8. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                        jms708

Hi, there.  I think I am also having this problem.

I just received my second NUC NUC5i5RYH from Newegg after sending the first back for freezing under Windows 10.  Just like the original poster in this thread with the i3 version, both my NUCs froze with the HD LED staying lit solid (no blinking).  The mouse pointer would remain responsive to move around on the desktop, but nothing else, even Ctrl-Alt-Delete.  You have to power off. 

The configuration is a bundle at Newegg that combines the NUC with a

• SanDisk SD8SBAT-256G-1122 Z400s 2.5" 256GB SATA III SSD , and
                        • G.SKILL 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Laptop Memory Model F3-1600C11S-4GSL

Note that the configuration uses a 2.5" SATA SSD, not an M.2 card plugged onto the mainboard.  Maybe this makes a difference?

There is also a second memory card, not part of the bundle, in the second slot

• Crucial 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Laptop Memory Model CT102464BF160B

The first NUC would even freeze in the middle of the Windows 10 build from USB.  The replacement got through the Windows 10 install just fine, but started locking up while I was using the desktop, after I had updated the drivers for the chipset, LAN and video.  I have also had it lock up as I was doing something as simple as pinning Chrome to the taskbar.  The behavior is always the same: HD LED turns on and stays on, desktop remains responsive to the mouse pointer but nothing else.

With the replacement NUC, I was careful not to make any changes to the BIOS - everything is as it was out of the box.  Also careful to be extra gentle opening the NUC to install the SSD (the wire between the SSD bay and the motherboard seems very fragile).  Exact same freeze as with the first NUC.  I would try it out with a different SSD, but I don't have one.

I am hoping to determine whether this is a problem with the NUC, the SSD, or Windows 10, but I don't have much time if I have to do another RMA.

• 9. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                          N.Scott.Pearson

Usually, you use DIMMs with identical specs (there may be wait state differences between these DIMMs). Try testing with one of the DIMMs removed. If that doesn't make a difference, swap and try the other DIMM.

If that doesn't make a difference, you'll have to try a different SSD/HDD...

...S

• 10. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                            jms708

Thanks for your reply, but I'm starting to think it's not my hardware.

With Windows 10, the SSD freeze would occur at least as often as every 20 minutes.

I am now stress-testing my NUC with a Windows 7 build. Windows 7 installed without a hitch, and it's been cooking for hours, no problems, running Windows update (many hundreds of updates) and a continuous Youtube video in Chrome.  No lockups (yet).

Having ready the thread above, I was concerned that I was suffering from a bad batch of NUCs with faulty SATA daughterboards.  But Windows 7, so far, seems to be showing the rig is fine.  This suggests Windows 10 is the culprit.  But if so, I'm surprised more bug reports haven't surfaced.

• 11. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                              EstebanC_Intel

Hello All:

I was able to find a workaround that may work for this situation.

I personally have encounter with a 100% usage from the drive in my computer, not exactly a NUC but a desktop with Windows 8.1

This behavior is random in my computer though.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This video advises to change the registry keys in your computer, this is not recommended, you could do it, but know that it may affect your system.

Fix 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista - YouTube

Regards,

Esteban C

• 12. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                                jms708

I am sad to report that the NUC also freezes under Windows 7.  Not as often, but it's the same kind of freeze.  The Desktop will stay active, but try anything like click on a menu and all you'll get is a spinning wheel.

I have also ruled out my memory, having tried both on their own and gotten the same results.

Oddly, I updated the firmware on the SanDisk Z400s with SanDisk's automated utility, and may have made the problem worse.

Sometimes, I have seen the NUC break out of the freeze, usually after at least 3 minutes with the hard drive light lit solid, and it will shortly get frozen again.

Don't know how to narrow down further whether it is the NUC or the SSD.

• 13. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                                  jms708

The video recommends disabling SuperFetch and Background Intelligent Disk Transfer (BITS).  Unless these features operate during Windows 10 Install, then it wouldn't have helped me because I saw freezing occur during the Install routine, as well as in "proper" Windows.

• 14. Re: NUC5i3RYH Freeze
                                    EstebanC_Intel

Hello jms708 :

Right now, the troubleshooting recommended would be to replace the unit with a different SSD.

Regards,

Esteban C

1 2 3 Previous Next