8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 5:17 AM by BenKissBox

Password for Telnet (with Yoctos on SD card)

BenKissBox

Hello all,

I am facing a strange problem with my Galileo.

When I run it without the SD card, I can connect over Telnet (using a sketch launching "telnetd") being root and without password.

When I use the SD card with Yoctos on it, I can not connect via Telnet, because the shell keeps asking me the password for root. I tried everything I had in mind (root, admin, password, etc....)

Here is what I get on the telnet console

Poky 9.0.2 (Yocto Project 1.4 Reference Distro) 1.4.2 clanton

clanton login: root

Password:

Login incorrect

Password:

Login incorrect

Password:

Login incorrect

Password:

Login incorrect

so the question is very stupid and simple : what is the password for Telnet ?

(Yes, I know that I can use SSH... and it works with SSH without any password. But I hate to find this kind of things and no knowing why it does not work )

Thanks

Benoit

• 1. Re: Password for Telnet (with Yoctos on SD card)
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello BenKissBox,

I've just connected to Galileo's terminal via Telnet with no issues. Could you please let me know how you connected via Telnet?

Please check below the steps I did to connect via Telnet:

• Power up the Galileo board. I used a Galileo Gen2 booting from the SD card with the following Yocto image: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2
          • Open a console session using PuTTY. I connected using the FTDI cable.
          • Once the booting process is done, I connected the Ethernet cable between the Galileo board and my laptop. The following outcome should be displayed in the console session:

telnetA.JPG

telnetd -l /bin/sh
          ifconfig eth0 169.254.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 up

• At this point the eth0 interface should be configured. You can run the command ifconfig eth0 to make sure the IP address and the netmask were set properly.
          • Open another PuTTY session and connect via Telnet. Use the IP address that you just entered to configure the eth0 interface. You should get access now. Check the screenshot below. I didn't have to enter a login nor a password.

telnetB.JPG

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Password for Telnet (with Yoctos on SD card)
            BenKissBox

Hello Diego,

thank you for your investigation and your answer. To answer your different questions:

- I made the test on a Gen 1, not a Gen 2 (maybe it explains the difference, but I am convinced it's not the case)

- I just run a basic sketch with the following commands on the setup() function

system("ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.0.150 netmask 255.255.255.0 up");

system ("telnetd");

in order to have a static IP address and the telnet daemon running

- I connect using the Mac OS Telnet client program. The problem occurs when I enter the command "open 192.168.0.50", I get the screenshot I reported just over there (asking me for a password)

Benoit

• 3. Re: Password for Telnet (with Yoctos on SD card)
              FGT

Hi Benoit,

I think the problem is in the commands you are using:

system("ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.0.150 netmask 255.255.255.0 up");

system ("telnetd");

More specifically, I'm using

system ("telnetd -l /bin/sh");

I'm also using a little bit different command to "start" eth0, but it should not be a problem because you reported the ssh is working.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Password for Telnet (with Yoctos on SD card)
                DiegoV_Intel

Hello BenKissBox,

You mentioned that the issue only happens when booting the Galileo from the SD card Yocto image. What image are you using? I tested the Telnet connection using the following image: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2. Please try with that image to see if you get different results.

And as FGT suggested, use the following lines in your Arduino sketch:

system("telnetd -l /bin/sh"); 
                system("ifconfig eth0 169.254.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 up");

And add the following lines to check the eth0 interface settings in the Serial Monitor:

delay(3000);
                system("ifconfig eth0 > /dev/ttyGS0");

Regards,

Diego.

• 5. Re: Password for Telnet (with Yoctos on SD card)
                  joe-iot

I don't have the SD Card image installed right now. But in most linux OS's there is a default setting to deny telnet access for root. This is because, as you know telnet traffic is transmitted in clear text . Since the root user is obviously a privileged account you would not use telnet for that user.

Look for a file in /etc called login, see if root is denied.

As an example on the iot dev kit the file is /etc/login.access

Cheers,

-Joe

• 6. Re: Password for Telnet (with Yoctos on SD card)
                    FGT

@

joe-iot wrote:

I don't have the SD Card image installed right now. But in most linux OS's there is a default setting to deny telnet access for root. This is because, as you know telnet traffic is transmitted in clear text . Since the root user is obviously a privileged account you would not use telnet for that user.

Look for a file in /etc called login, see if root is denied.

As an example on the iot dev kit the file is /etc/login.access

Cheers,

-Joe

Hmmm... then we are using different yocto images... at the very least: I'm able to use telnet as described above (and which Diego has verified too).

Take into account that, as pointed out in another thread (Reset button bug with sd card image):

There is a yocto intended to be used with XDK: "You can boot your Intel® Galileo board using a micro SD card that contains the latest Intel® IoT Developer Kit version of the Yocto* built, Linux image." (Making a bootable micro SD Card with Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone) and there is an image not related to XDK, just intemded to be used for (Arduino) sketch persistency (maybe among other tasks I do not know about), so it is not necessary to have anything related to SDK-IoT Dev. Kit, etc., and which is the one I'm using and Diego suggested and included the link to.

About security... well... that's "beyond the scope" any analysis I could make right now...

HTH,

Fernando.

• 7. Re: Password for Telnet (with Yoctos on SD card)
                      joe-iot

Well it was just a guess   I am not using the SDCard.1.0.4.tar.gz right now. I am using the file  iot-devkit-latest-mmcblkp0.direct which has those config options.

Cheers,

-Joe

• 8. Re: Password for Telnet (with Yoctos on SD card)
                        BenKissBox

Hello all,

thank you to Diego and FGT, your proposal were the right one.

If I use system("telnet -l /bin/sh"), I am able to log from a Telnet client without any problem (the Galileo does not ask anymore for login and password)

Benoit