1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2015 7:25 AM by FGT

Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd

SimonRem

Hi guys I am yet again at the edge of my understanding into all thing computer orientated any help would be appreciated. I have updated the firmware, I have downloaded the sd os, I have set the card up, I have a persistent blinking light on reboot,  I can ssh into the board, I have given it a static address. As this version does not contain the full tool kit I down loaded that and opkg installed the tools. Question 1) I THINK I have expanded the partition and Filesystem could you please take a look at the following and tell me if I have or have not. 

version.PNGQuestion 2) should I have two -> /dev/mmcblk0p1 directories if not should I remove one

df-h.PNG

• 1. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

It doesn’t seem you have made a partition. The reason why it appears that you have two partitions of 3.7G is because both are mounted to the same port. Were you trying to repartition the sd to change the size partitions? What method did you use? Is your goal to change the size of the partitions?

About the duplicate /dev/mmcblk0p1 that is not going to affect anything in a negative way. If you want to delete one you can do it so that the df –h view only shows one. You can use umount the target and delete the name of the duplicate. And then mount it again with the proper name.

Sergio

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
            FGT

Hi,

About your Question 1):

I do not understand what you mean by "expanding the filesystem" or "expanded the partition"...

The directory in /lib/modules as well as the file /etc/version give information about the Linux you have, which is fine, actually, and it is the one I'm currently using.

About your Question 2):

I'm not an expert, but directories and mount points shown by the df command seem to be fine, at least the df command in my system provides almost the same information (I've not used opkg, so my rootfs uses less MB than yours, and my SD is 16GB). Also, note that tmps appears twice too.

Summarizing, I think your system is just fine.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 3. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
              SimonRem

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for the reply sorry I have not been active for a few days, I am in the middle of exams at uni at the moment. Yes to your questions I could only see approx 50 mb when I put the clanton on the sd card at first so after some reading I tried Expanding the Partition with I partition tool on an Ubuntu on a virtual machine then tried to re-size the file system with resize2fs I was following these recommendations  Resize SD card linux so in my inexperience I am totally lost as to ware I am in relation to a Windows system, which I understand a little better. Question have I now got full access to the whole 4gb of the sd card and will the rootfs file system grow dynamically as I fill it OR is there a linker file in rootfs that give me direct access to the .ext3 where files will be stored any advice would be appreciated IF I were to install were to install a html server right now would it go in the roofs or the .ext3 ????

Simon

• 4. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                SimonRem

Hi Fernando

Thanks for replying if you could read my response that I have posted on Sergio's comment. Does your opkg manager work on your board? Yes I noticed the tempfs twice but do not know why one is fuller than the other, again I am a little lost

Simon

• 5. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                  FGT

Sorry, Simon, I'm getting in the middle...

Just in case: I've set a html server in a dir. of the .ext3, and it works and it stores data (if you need to) in the directories you want.

I do not understand what the problem is relating rootfs <==> .ext3, but you can see it by yourself, i think (which one grows, which one is persistent, etc.).

But maybe Sergio knows better, so I'll quit this discussion.

Fernando.

• 6. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                    SimonRem

Hi Ferdando

I do not see you as getting in the middle I am open to all opinions and advice as to how you installed the html server on the .ext3 would be greately appriciated

Simon

• 7. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                      FGT

I would not use time worrying about tmpfs and /dev/mmcblk0p1 appearing twice, as I wrote in my first post in this thread... if Linux detects something wrong you'll notice right away.

About

Does your opkg manager work on your board?

I've not needed opkg, so I don't know, but I think it should work as expected.

About questions on your reply to Sergio, maybe the following "explanation" (hopefully) helps:

When the Galileo boots with an SD card, it mounts the .ext3, so everything you store in the files "below" /media/mmcblk0p1 is persistent and part of the filesystem. Just as an example: I've created a directory /media/mmcblk0p1/www where I start a python web server... which finally was not very useful for me, but it worked. In case the python web server or any process started from the web stores data in the filesystem, it is part of the filesystem unless you delete the data, of course.

Fernando.

• 8. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                        FGT

advice as to how you installed the html server on the .ext3 would be greately appriciated

As posted recently, I've installed  a python web server... actually, just stored an index.html and started a python web server with CGI enabled.

I've also replied html requests directly from a sketch, since the python web server took too much time to reply some requests

Maybe if you explain a little bit more what you need we could try some other configurations

Fernando.

• 9. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                          SimonRem

Hi again Fernando

Hopefully you are still about. Again I must apologies for my delay in responding to you. As I posted earlier, my university studies must come first, and my pleasure at understanding the concepts of this little board must come second. I am trying to teach my self every thing about this operating system, at the moment it is beyond the scope of my lecturers and tutors.

As to your question, I am hoping to set up a html server on the board (possibly a sim card with internet connection ??)  and interact with it from a mobile phone or any other device  via its Wifi over a hot spot or internet connection, to run Robotics. Did you use Welcome | Flask (A Python Microframework) as your server ?

Going back to Sergio's comment, where am I actually mounted at the moment ?...... and....... where would I be, when I umount the Target ?........... before remounting ?

• 10. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                            FGT

As to your question, I am hoping to set up a html server on the board (possibly a sim card with internet connection ??)  and interact with it from a mobile phone or any other device  via its Wifi over a hot spot or internet connection, to run Robotics. Did you use Welcome | Flask (A Python Microframework) as your server ?

Going back to Sergio's comment, where am I actually mounted at the moment ?...... and....... where would I be, when I umount the Target ?........... before remounting ?

What do you mean by "(possibly a sim card with internet connection ??)"? Galileo + sim card + internet connection?

About

"Did you use Welcome | Flask (A Python Microframework) as your server ?"

No. I used the python already installed in the Linux image. More specifically:

a) In the directoy where the SD card is mounted,

/media/mmcblk0p1/

I created the directoy www, i. e. I have

/media/mmcblk0p1/www

and in that directory I've put my index.html and the command to start the python web server.

b) In the sketch setup function I use system so that the command to start the python web server is executed

About

"Going back to Sergio's comment, where am I actually mounted at the moment ?...... and....... where would I be, when I umount the Target ?........... before remounting ?"

I do not understand these questions...

HTH,

Fernando.

• 11. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                              SimonRem

sorry for being vague,

Galileo + sim card + internet connection? -> Re: Galileo and Mini PCI-E Cellular Card

Sergio's earlier comment

"About the duplicate /dev/mmcblk0p1 that is not going to affect anything in a negative way. If you want to delete one you can do it so that the df –h view only shows one. You can use umount the target and delete the name of the duplicate. And then mount it again with the proper name."

FGT wrote:

About

"Going back to Sergio's comment, where am I actually mounted at the moment ?...... and....... where would I be, when I umount the Target ?........... before remounting ?"

Sorry for the confusion but what is the 'target'

Simon

• 12. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                                FGT

Sergio's earlier comment

"About the duplicate /dev/mmcblk0p1 that is not going to affect anything in a negative way. If you want to delete one you can do it so that the df –h view only shows one. You can use umount the target and delete the name of the duplicate. And then mount it again with the proper name."

FGT wrote:

About

Sorry for the confusion but what is the 'target'

I see, "target" is a term used by the mount command:

"

mount  attaches the filesystem specified by source  (which is often a device name, but can also be a directory name or a dummy) to the directory specified by target.

"

so in your case "target" is the directory where the SD card is mounted on. But as I commented in a previous post: do not worry about the filesystem, if Linux (Yocto, in this case) does not complain, then there is no problem...

Fernando.

• 13. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                                  SimonRem

So from this view is every thing OK ?

root@clanton:/# ls -a

.           boot        home        ls          opt         sketch      usr

..          dev         lib         media       proc        sys         var

bin         etc         lost+found  mnt         sbin        tmp

root@clanton:/# ls -s media

1 card          1 hdd           4 mmcblk0p1       0 ram           1 union

1 cf            1 mmc1          1 net           4 realroot

root@clanton:/# ls -s media/mmcblk0p1

4 LICENSE.iwlwifi-5000-ucode

8 README.iwlwifi-5000-ucode

4 boot

1940 bzImage

1656 core-image-minimal-initramfs-clanton.cpio.gz

276 grub.efi

409600 image-full-galileo-clanton.ext3

340 iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode

root@clanton:/#

Simon

• 14. Re: Expanding  gen 2 Galileo File system on a 4gig sd
                                    FGT

I think it's fine, at least from the point of view of filesystem/s.

I do not know about contents, since I don't know what you have to do/use. And mostly, because I don't know most of the hardware Galileo successfully handles.

Fernando.

1 2 Previous Next