10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 7:39 AM by EstebanC_Intel

Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying

Gregory Goeppel

Mouse movement is jumpy and erratic when using my Logitech M570 Trackball with the the unifying receiver plugged directly into my Intel NUC D54250WYKH. If I use a USB extension cable however to get the unifying receiver away from the body of the Intel NUC it works fine. I can only assume their is some kind of interference coming from the NUC that is messing with communication between my Trackball and the tiny unifying receiver.  I have tried two different receivers using the unifying250.exe software available in logitech support which allows me to map more than one device to a single receiver. I saw mention somewhere of some issue with USB 3.0. But I think all the ports are USB 3.0. Some pdf said something about shielding. What is shielding?  The USB extension cable does solve the problem. However now I have this ugly cable connected to a tiny receiver. One of the things I liked about the NUC was how it integrated the Media Center Receiver inside of the device. One Less Cable. Less Clutter. Now the clutter is back just like it was with my big PC. Is there a better solution?

• 1. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying
          N.Scott.Pearson

If you have a wireless card in the NUC, it will compete for frequency range with the Logitech dongle. This can cause the jerkiness you are seeing. Moving the two apart as you have is the thing to do. I saw this during my testing with Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse (yes, training to use single dongle) - but worse, also found that the proximity of the wireless card and the dongle also drastically lessened the distance at which the mouse and keyboard would work reliably. I saw something similar using a SiiG Bluetooth wireless keyboard (with integrated trackball). Same thing happened with a FAVI mini keyboard/touchpad. I set them up to run using the wireless card's Bluetooth and I can use them from further away than I could using their own dongles (and freed up the USB ports!).

...S

• 2. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying
            Gregory Goeppel

No wireless. Using the LAN port for the internet.

• 3. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying
              Gregory Goeppel

Oddly the back ports perform better than the front ports (line of site) so there must be something interfering with the front ports only. Still performance is best when I used a USB extension cable so I am just going to go back to that. I went ahead and order this because I have a hunch this might get it far enough away from the interference without a long card. http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Vertical-Female-Adapter-Angle/dp/B00EBAS1OW/ref=sr_1_5?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1448762441&sr=8-5…

• 4. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying
                EstebanC_Intel

Hello Gregory Goeppel:

Yes, this is a known situation with the USB 3.0 on the NUC affecting 2.4GHz Wireless Devices.

Here you can find more information about this situation.

USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference on 2.4 GHz Devices

Best regards,

Esteban C

• 5. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying
                  pr0xzen

While this is not a direct solution, I combated this issue myself and resolved it thusly; The next time you are in the market for a wireless mouse / keyboard / combo, go with a 5GHz unit. There is so many different things around us today that either utilize, or output noise on the 2.4GHz band, that this frequency band is getting crowded and cluttered. That situation is not going to improve any time soon. The 5GHz band is much less crowded, thus other things are far less likely to interfere. It might also improve your range for stable operation.

• 6. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying
                    Gregory Goeppel

Esteban C that document you linked doesn't seem related at all to my issue or am I reading it wrong? It seems to indicate a problem if I use a USB 3.0 device like a HDD connected to a USB 3.0 cable. I having nothing hooked up to any of the USB ports except for a single USB 2.0 Logitech receiver. Or does that document you linked just indicate USB 3.0 ports cannot work with USB 2.0 Logitech receiver that use 2.4 GHZ spectrum? Do USB 3.0 ports interfere just by their existence even with nothing hooked up to them? I honestly don't think the USB 3.0 ports are the problem. If they were the performance should be worse not better with the USB 3.0 ports in the back. It is definitely better in the back even with the case in between my mouse and the tiny receiver.

I ended up buying a Logitech k400r keyboard just for the USB range extender https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=usb+range+extender+logitech. It pushes the dongle out from the front of the case just an inch or two and it works fine now. Note also this NUC is hooked up to a TV so I need the mouse to sit a good 8 feet away from the NUC.

Still If I get time I am curious to see what will happen If I turn off USB 3.0 in the BIOS and make all my USB Ports only operate in USB 2.0 mode. I checked and there definitely is a setting for that. Just didn't bother trying it.

• 7. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying
                      pr0xzen

I just read the white paper, and it I understand it correctly the signal that interferes with your Logitech reciever (2.4GHz) originates from the USB3.0 connectors. They apply spread spectrum to the USB3.0 transfer signals to reduce EM emissions - and in this case it clearly did not work as intended. What they tested and demonstrated with the USB 3.0 HDD connected through cable to the mainboard connector (computer end), is that when a USB3.0 device is actually connected and operative - the noise signal (2.4-2.5 GHz) A) spreads from the mainboard connector, the interconnecting USB3.0 cable and the connected USB3.0 unit itself - and B) the noise signal floor is raised by 20dB. This is to be expected, as there is much more being transfered with something connected and operational. But its pretty bad, even without a USB3.0 unit connected.

I remember once thinking when grabbing an USB3.0 cable  : "This is one thick and stiff cable for USB transfer..". Guess I understand why now, they are shielded - so as to not leak EM noise along cable run.

Bottom line in this scenario: The noise signal that interfere with your Logitech unifying connector, is originating from the USB3.0 connectors on the NUC. This might be why they went with a metal housing even for the "cheap" models - but it didn't solve the issue. The closer a unit is to the USB3.0 connector, the stronger the interfering signal is. And the unifying connector is, when directly connected, as close "as it gets". Hence we (both you and I) experience more stable signal when using an USB extension to place our 2.4GHz recievers further away from the NUC.

• 8. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying
                        Gregory Goeppel

Ok pr0xzen and Esteban C. You are correct. I disabled USB 3.0 in the bios and it does work noticeably better. Seems to work about as good as it did when I plugged the receiver into the back. I am going to keep the USB 3.0 disabled and the range extender together for most reliable performance.

• 9. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying
                          pr0xzen

Good to hear you found a workable solution. And thanks for the feedback on the performance when disabling USB 3.0 in BIOS, it might prove useful for other Intel Community users.

• 10. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH Jumpy Mouse is annoying
                            EstebanC_Intel

Hello All:

Thank you pr0xzen and goeppel for providing the workaround and the useful information regarding this situation.

Do not hesitate to contact the Intel Communities again if you encounter with additional or new inquiries.

Regards,

Esteban C