12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 3:42 PM by afremont

Can anyone help me find this connector?

afremont

I have a nuc5ppyh that I'm wanting to use in a car.  I bought the DCDC-NUC power board from minibox and it comes with a cable that would plug to this connector:

Intel® NUC Boards and Kits — Front Panel Header

The trouble is that I can't seem to find that connector anywhere inside my NUC. 

Has anyone used one of these DCDC-NUC power boards to control their NUC.  I'm going to be running Linux (Mythbuntu) and using it as a media server.  The wifi is configured as a hotspot.  I have all that working, I'm just trying to figure out how to get the power board to control it.  There's not a lot of documentation on the DCDC-NUC board, or at least I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.  After some more research, it doesn't appear that it is intended for use with Linux since the only way to communicate with it seems to be via a Windows DLL API over a USB connection.

• 1. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
          N.Scott.Pearson

The front panel connector is on the same side of the board as the processor. In order to access the front panel connector, you need to remove the board from the chassis. There are two small screws that hold the board down; remove these screws and then tip up the board pulling along the board edge between the two screw locations.

...S

• 2. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
            afremont

Thank you for the reply.  I was wondering if that was the case.  I took some screws out of "top" side (under the plastic lid), but that didn't seem to loosen anything up.  I see the two small (black) screws that you are talking about.  Is there some kind of thermal device (heatsink) that might separate when I lift that board, or is it and the fan all stuck together?

As I said, I'm kind of disappointed in the power board that I got from mini-box since it only seems to be designed for Windows applications. I'm considering changing my approach to using an Arduino and a serial to USB cable to control the power and communicate to the NUC via a USB port.  I can still make use of the DCDC-NUC board, by putting it in "dumb" mode and using it to condition and boost the power from 12V to 19V, but that's an awfully expensive way to just have a boost converter.  I may just wire a power inverter into the car and use the 19V AC adapter to power the NUC, but that's not very efficient.  I'm not sure yet which way I'm going to do it. It's not for a permanent install, just for a road trip at Christmas time.  I'm still going to see if I can decode the data stream that comes from the DCDC-NUC board's USB port.

• 3. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
              N.Scott.Pearson

The heatsink-fan unit is screwed down tight to the board and will come up with it. No worries there.

This power board looks like a good product to regulate power for a NUC in a Car (or Boat) environment - and would seem to do what is (basically) needed right out of the box. While it's true that the available application support for its extended capabilities is Windows-specific, source code is there and is thus still something that can be adapted for Linux (though heavier lifting). I did some price comparison; much dumber DC-DC solutions seem to be in the same price range, so no great loss there...

...S

• 4. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
                afremont

Got it apart and accidentally pulled one of the wifi leads loose.  I got it back on, hope it holds okay.  I don't know how many times those are allowed to be plugged and unplugged, but I'm guessing that it doesn't number into the tens of thousands. 

As for the "front panel" connector, I'm thinking that Intel needs to fix their documentation wrt the NUC5PPYH.  Here is a picture of the CPU side of the board.  Unless I'm missing something, I don't see anything that I can connect to on there:

Dropbox - IMG_20151128_182702431.jpg

At any rate, it would make more sense (convenience wise) by having the header on the user accessible side of the board anyway. 

Admittedly, it might have been a bit easier if the connector was present since Linux shuts down gracefully by pressing the button on the top of the NUC.  OTOH I'd have ugly wires hanging out of the NUC if there was a header.  I don't mind that I have to come up with another solution.  Heavy lifting is something I've done plenty of in my time.   Since the source is available, I shouldn't have much trouble figuring out the USB protocol. I'm tempted to Rube Goldberg it by using an Arduiono to have a servo motor press the button to turn it off.  I could also use the same mechanism to turn it on, but setting the BIOS properly I can have it boot when the same Arduino applies power using a relay.

I like the idea of controlling everything from a microcontroller since it allows me to be have much more flexible control of start-up and shutdown rather than only sensing the ignition on/off.  I could use IR and/or push buttons to control it.  Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. 

• 5. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
                  afremont

To whom it may concern.  This document is in error.  There is no front panel connector on my NUC5PPYH and there is no "Standby LED" that I can find either.

Intel® NUC Kits — Board Layout

Here is an actual picture of my board:

Dropbox - IMG_20151128_182702431.jpg

• 6. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
                    Qboy61

• 7. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
                      afremont

I'd have been okay with paying the extra 3 cents it might have cost to actually put the connector there like the documentation specifies.  It's hard to do proper research when documents don't actually align with reality.   

There's 2 islands there and both have 9 solder pads, but neither is marked with silkscreen as to the purpose.  There is the word "debug" close to one of them. 

I'll probably be able to work around it, but that doesn't exactly make my day since it would be much cleaner (and easier) to actually be able to use the header that's supposed to be there according to the available documentation.  To say I'm disappointed is an understatement after I spent $60 for a shutdown controller designed for the NUC that needs the header to work right.

• 8. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
                        EstebanC_Intel

Hello All:

After checking the datasheet for this unit (Intel® NUC Kit NUC5PPYH) I was able to find that the front panel header is not in the board.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24956/eng/NUC5CPYB_NUC5PPYB_TechProdSpec06.pdf (page 

Page (iii)

asdfasdf.PNG

Regards,

Esteban C

• 9. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
                          afremont

Yes, that was very nice of them to do that a month after I bought my unit.  Unfortunately there is still a lot of references to the nonexistent connector throughout the site as I posted.  Thanks for posting that anyway. 

• 10. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
                            EstebanC_Intel

Hello afremont:

I would like to apologize for the confusion regarding the Front Panel Header in this unit.

This information is going to be corrected indeed.

I also would like to thank you for bringing this situation to us.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 11. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
                              Cloudscout

So how do we get our units corrected so they match the specifications that were published when we bought them?

• 12. Re: Can anyone help me find this connector?
                                afremont

Cloudscout wrote:

So how do we get our units corrected so they match the specifications that were published when we bought them?

That's what I'd like to know.   That header would make my car entertainment project a lot easier to do.   The power board I have has some source code that shows how to use the windows dll they give you to talk to the board.  It doesn't do me much good on Linux since the board manufacturer didn't openly document the protocol that is used for the USB connection.  I wouldn't need to worry about any of that if the board could simply interface to the power on/off header of the NUC since Linux does a fine job of handling shutdown initiated by a button press and the board can be preconfigured with a Windows machine to do everything I need.

It's neat board that completely disconnects the NUC from the automotive power after a time delay that allows the system to shutdown.  This is triggered primarily by turning the ignition key off.  When the key is turned on, a delay occurs then power is applied to the NUC.  The BIOS in the NUC is set to automatically boot after a "power failure".  The board senses the voltage from the car and can disconnect the NUC if it gets too high or too low (programmable thresholds).  Like another poster said, it's still a decent boost converter power board given the price, even if I have to Rube Goldberg something together to get it working. 

Hopefully Intel will add the connector to future versions of the NUC and make it more practical to use by moving it to the bottom of the circuit board or even adding an external connector for it.