1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 4:33 PM by mikec_intel

Major CPU spikes in Battlefield 4

muncho4

Hello, I'm having a lot of trouble with my PC at the moment. I'm not sure at all if I'm posting this to the right place

Here's my build:

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

Case - Enermax Ostrog ECA3253

Motherboard - msi H77MA-G43

Processor - i5 3470

Drive 1 - ADATA SP900 128gb SSD

Drive 2 - Random staples 1TB HDD

Drive 3 - Mushkin ECO2 240GB SSD

Memory - 16gb (2x8gb) Mushkin Enhanced Blackline DDR3 1600

Graphics Card - Sapphire R9 390

Power Supply - Corsair CX750M

Here's an example of my problem. As you can see in the upper right hand corner, my framerates are mostly very good (quite a bit lower in multiplayer, though), but occasionally everything lags for a fraction of a second. This is especially apparent in the graph to the lower left, which shows CPU performance in yellow and GPU performance in green. GPU performance is pretty stable but the CPU lapses somewhat often.

I started having these spikes after I installed the R9 390. My old GPU was an EVGA NVIDIA GTX 670. The only way this makes sense to me is if the processor is overworking itself to try to work with the new higher performance GPU. My temperatures were getting up to 87 C until I reapplied thermal paste. Now they only get up to about 70 C.

I have a new heatsink (link) coming in the mail that should be here tomorrow or sometime early next week. Will installing it/lower temperatures fix or nearly fix my problems? Right now I'm using the stock heatsink that came with the CPU. Thanks!