3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2015 11:59 AM by JFFulcrum

Client Side Settings

Snoozyninja

Hi,

I'm a Desktop Engineer for a large organisation. We're constantly experiencing issues ie, dropouts and disconnections from our wireless network.

Our network team advise that we make various client side changes (on the wirelss nic settings)  to improve the performance, each one we try doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

I'm trying to work out if the network team are just coming up with these suggestions just to deflect the focus from the fact that actually our wireless network isn't that great !

I'm interesting to hear stories from other organisations on their wireless experience and whether they have to apply settings at the desktop level or if the wifi just works without adjusting anything.

• 1. Re: Client Side Settings
          JFFulcrum

Roaming aggressiveness is often in need of decrease in dense WiFi environments of current offices, clients are bunny-hopping between APs on default values. Thats probably all you can change in client setting, all other parameters depends more on AP settings and useless without proper support from all devices in WLAN.

• 2. Re: Client Side Settings
            Snoozyninja

A couple of things that have been mentioned are disabling the WiFi when users are connected via Ethernet and also ensuring that the clients prefer 5Ghz.

Roaming Aggressiveness has also been mentioned but our network team had recommended increasing ie Making it more aggressive rather than decreasing.

It does seem that everything that we try doesn't seem to make a difference so my thoughts are that we have some underlying issue with our Wireless Configuration.

• 3. Re: Client Side Settings
              JFFulcrum

our network team had recommended increasing ie Making it more aggressive rather than decreasing.

It`s easy to check for you, tools like Wifi Analyzer and inSSIDer (for Android Phone) will show you many parameters of WiFi environment, using simple color scheme to indicate quality of WiFi in different aspects, including distances and signal strength of nearest APs. Again, main side is on WiFi APs itself, if this is an rich solution from Cisco or Ubiquiti - admins have (or can have by some software upgrade) tools for complete network tests and analysis, and a lot of ways to change APs settings accordingly. If that is cheap controllerless commodity pods  - unlikely anything can be done on client side.