I'm having some trouble with Intel hardware installed in my computer. My processor is reaching critical temperatures while handling simple tasks and nearing overtemp on tasks such as video encoding causing me to halt progress and shut down. Here are my system specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50 GHz (not overclocked)
CPU Cooling: Intel heatsink/fan and Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal compound
Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
- Core temp observed 60-70 C in BIOS from cold boot
- Idle temp in Windows (observed from Intel desktop utilities) 55-71 C
- Low/mod load temp in Windows 75-86 C
- Heavy load 91-97 C
Steps I've taken to fix this problem:
- Accomplished all steps listed in this post: 3770K standard temperatures
- Checked operation of processor and case fans
- Checked airflow
- Removed CPU heatsink/fan, removed thermal paste, reapplied thermal paste in accordance with manufacturer's instructions, reinstalled heatsink/fan
- Updated BIOS
- Verified no overclocking in BIOS and dialed powerboost from default 3.90 GHz to 3.50 GHz single core
- Set Windows power management "Maximum Processor State" to 90% (down from 100%)
- Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool - all PASS (temp got up to 97 C during CPU Stress Test)
Also notable - I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro - no noticeable difference in temp, as expected.
I've been using this CPU/MB combo for several years now and have never had a temperature problem until the last week. One problem that I have had since I installed the board is the BIOS' tendency to drop boot order priorities, forcing me to restart, enter the BIOS, and move my primary drive back to the top of the list. I'm hoping that the BIOS update I flashed today will fix that (yes, I'm lazy as it was released 2 years ago and I just now got around to troubleshooting it!) I'm only mentioning this in case a BIOS issue could play into the temp problem that I'm having. Do temp probes run through the BIOS? Unfortunately, the initial result after flashing the BIOS is the same (no noticeable difference).
I feel like I'm limiting my CPU's performance due to this temperature problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.