Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

display driver stopped responding and has recovered error

TLuca
Novice

I bought a new star wars special edition computer on the 5th of November and immediately had this error start popping up on the screen from the right just above the time area the first day I got it. It came with a free service of free lifetime tech support, so I started calling them. I called them like 6 times and they told me it could be several things, first it was a pop ups, it wasn't, then it was outdated drivers, it wasn't, then told me they couldn't fix it, that I had to call HP because that's who made the computer. So I called HP, they told me they could fix it and tried whatever, then said that it would fix itself IF I restored the computer to factory specs, so I did that, and it did NOT work. They told me they would send a tech out to repair it IF it did not, and then when they called the next day to check in on it they told me they didn't have the parts to send a tech for that specific part, so they lied to me. It's a brand new computer, yet they originally told me well you don't have an in home warranty ?? So I said so what would you have said if I DID have an in home warranty? Oh I'm sorry we don't have the part we can't send a tech? I don't believe you don't have the parts for that part but they told me they have the parts for everything else for it but that. So I reordered another computer from QVC, and prepared the other computer to send back. I JUST got the 2nd computer on the 25th of November, yestereday about noon. I've been working on that computer and adding things to it and updating it all day and getting it ready and then just less than 20 minutes ago the same damn message just appeared on THIS one. There is NO WAY that both of these computers have bad display units, there has to be something else simple that everyone else is missing that is causing this message to keep appearing. I took a picture of the message at one point when it happened on the 1st computer, it comes up and will cause a black screen then I have to click on it or opposite click on my wireless mouse to get the black screen to clear before the black screen will go away. What is causing this???? Someone please help me??

Tim

14 Replies
TLuca
Novice

New info, I was copying this text from another box where I had split screen boxes where I had posted this same information on HP forum and this box for HP the message popped up on only as I was typing it not the whole computer screen, so not the box for this forum or the rest of my tabs I had opened or the desktop, so that proves its not the display driver/card itself that is bad, so its something else that is causing this, if the whole thing was bad the whole screen would have crashed wouldn't it?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I would need more information in regards to your system configuration:

Which version of Windows do you have?

Also, the exact processor model and the graphics controller:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-009482.htm Graphics Drivers — How to Identify Your Intel® Graphics Controller

On Windows 10

Click on the Windows icon, and search for "System"

Look for System Control Panel then note the processor model.

Allan

0 Kudos
TLuca
Novice

its windows 10, thought I mentioned that. i5 6200 graphics controller intel hd graphics 520 I talked to my tech support again and they said it IS the software for the driver, because the error message it showing windows 8 for the driver and I don't have windows 8, and this is the 2nd brand new computer, so that means EVERY computer of these star wars special edition has these problems then, all of them...because they came with windows 10 already on them, and the drivers are out of date. They said there is nothing wrong with my computer itself , that its just an issue with the communication of the hardware with windows 10, which is what the drivers are for, they updated the drivers for it but I don't know if that fixed it yet.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please try testing the following graphics driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25541/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Allan.

0 Kudos
TLuca
Novice

This did NOT work....it comes up with this error message..(this operating system is not supported).... I looked around at why and it mentions possibly uninstalling manufacturers software which may cause other problems and then install this software but it asks which operating system do I have and it does NOT show windows 10, only up to 8.1 and I do not have 8.1 operating system....I downloaded the zip file and selected run and it will not work

0 Kudos
TLuca
Novice

what are you talking about? I'm not trying to PLAY a game? This is a brand new computer, the 2nd one, and they all have incompatible drivers for the graphics. I never said I was trying to play a game anywhere in the discussion. The error keeps happening many times daily, simply doing nothing more than normal use, I don't even use it for gaming. I sell online on ebay and that's about all I use it for, other than doing some Publishers Clearing House stuff, that's it. I do not use it for gaming. The driver error says windows 8, and I have windows 10, please reread the initial message and see the attached photo I have included.

Tim

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Follow the manual installation procedure same as Windows® 8.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm Desktop graphics drivers — How to Manually Install a Driver in Microsoft Windows 8* or Windows 8.1*

Download the zip version of the video driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Allan.

0 Kudos
TLuca
Novice

I followed the info, had to delete my old driver, restarting the computer made it keep reinstalling, so had to leave install new driver without restarting. Unfortunately this driver did not fix the problem, I am started getting the same message in less than 15 minutes of installing the new driver.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

There are reports of several community members that installing our latest generic driver has fixed this issue. At this point, this is just a driver problem that is not affecting computer performance and recovers by itself. I recommend waiting for future graphics driver releases at: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center

Allan.

0 Kudos
TLuca
Novice

generic drivers were already tried. did not work.

0 Kudos
TLuca
Novice

there are no steps to make the computer do the error, it just occurs when it wants to, usually just by doing nothing more than doing something simple like going from one email to the next or being on ebay and scanning down a page or playing a pch game which does not use any processing power. I do not use this computer for any other gaming of any kind, these computers are ALL like this, all windows 10 installations on this model have this problem, and I'm not the only one to whose had problems with it. It was purchased on qvc, already sent the 1st one back before I knew it wasn't the computer, and another person has already posted they have had flickering screens too, but they don't have the specific information as I have laid out or know what it is they are seeing, but I guarantee its the same problem. I thought I had it fixed last night as an HP tech had me do a driver installation work around a different way and then I used the computer for over 6 hours and it worked fine and then part of today it worked fine but then I came home turned it on and within 5 minutes it started doing it again. and I thought it was fixed?? WHY it didn't do it for over 6 hours last night after I did what he had me do when that's the first time since I've had the computer its let me use it in one night and didn't give me an error message that long to go back to error messages within the first 5 minutes or so of turning it on I have no idea, but this is getting ridiculous now.

0 Kudos
Filip_Z_Intel
Employee

Have You tried that solution ?

Seems to be fixing issues seen on HP

0 Kudos
CLee63
Beginner

Hi, I'm having the same problem too. It says driver stopped responding and has recovered etc. I seems to be getting this a lot recently.

It is totally random, it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours regardless of software (some times Word processing or web browsing or sometimes just doing nothing).

It seems Windows 10 broke something. I too have flickering screen as well occasionally. I've updated to the latest drivers and done clean installs etc. I totally understand darkknight29 frustration as I've been searching for a solution for a while now but there's none. Hence, how I came to this forum in desperation.

Nvidia gpu seem to have this issue as well. I've just updated to the latest drivers and it is giving me this error as well. So it's not just Intel. I've been asking for a fix but so far there's none on their side. I do not play games with the Intel HD4600 as my laptop uses Optimus so it's using the GTX 980M.

I've attach herewith the error and how it looks like when it happens on the Nvidia GPU

The same error occurs for the Intel GPU (when not playing games of course) but I do not have a photo as it is unpredictable but very often.

Not sure if it's related to Optimus or a driver conflict but could probably rule out hardware failure. Filip thank you for your constant support in the forums. If you could kindly forward this to technical support it'll be appreciated as we've probably come to our wits end in solving this problem on our relatively new hardware. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

0 Kudos
Filip_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Tim,

do You have an exact steps You can follow which makes the message pop up?

0 Kudos