2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2015 7:41 AM by LSS_Engineer

82599EB 10Gb SFP+ NIC Problem

LSS_Engineer

After a day and a half of troubleshooting why my NIC was showing down in VMware ESXi 6 even though it had green lights on both ends of the fiber and my Cisco 8500 switch said the circuit was up-up, I finally found the answer.

Gee, the Cisco SFP-10G-LRM SFP+ module I use throughout my network isn't compatible in the Intel NIC.  Apparently I need an Intel E10GSFPLR SFP+ module in the NIC. 

Of course this should work with the SFP-10G-LRM on one end and the E10GSFPLR on the other end, but can anyone verify this?

• 1. Re: 82599EB 10Gb SFP+ NIC Problem
          Sandy_Intel

Hi LSS_Engineer,

Yes, the Intel Adapter is compatible with Intel SFP+ modules.  With regards to your question, the E10GSFPLR module supports standard 10GBASE-LR 10G Ethernet.  If your Cisco* switch can support 10GBASE-LR standard, then it is compatible.  However, you may need to use Cisco's 10GBASE-LR module for your switch.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Sandy

• 2. Re: 82599EB 10Gb SFP+ NIC Problem
            LSS_Engineer

Thanks Sandy,

They way I now understand this is that I have two choices:

1.  Replace my Cisco SFP-10G-LRM modules with SFP-10G-LR modules on the switch and install an Intel E10GSFPLR module in the Intel NIC.  This requires changing the MM OM3 fiber to standard SM.

2.  Replace my Cisco SFP-10G-LRM modules with SFP-10G-SR modules and install and Intel E10GSFPSR module in the Intel NIC and retain the existing MM OM3 fiber.