3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 8:53 AM by Amy_Intel

Monitor on discrete Intel graphics doesn't display with two monitors on a Nvidia card

Aquilen

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

When the HDMI and VGA ports on the Nvidia card occupied, the VGA port connecting to the discrete Intel graphics doesn't seem to work at all (from boot and from plugging it in while the computer is on).

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?
      If you can offer a % rate please do.

I've tried reproducing it 10-15 times and it has failed in all cases, so yes.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell XPS

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

System has an i7-3770 and a Geforce GT 620

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
      LFP
      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

All  three are 1920x1080 and EFPs. I'm pretty sure they all have a 60Hz refresh rate.

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16 GB (15.9 usable)

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

The various cables and monitors seem to work on a separate laptop that I have, so it doesn't seem to be some other component failing.

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

(Check attachment)

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 Build 10240

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

I am a failure and cannot find this.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

For Intel: 10.18.10.4276

For Nvidia: 10.18.13.5850

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

N/A

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Extended on two displays (with one main dispaly)

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

Same as 3rd hardware question

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

Cables are plugged in and the various monitors and cables work on a 2nd system

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Get a computer with a GT 620 and a i7-3770
      2. Plug in two monitors, one through HDMI to the GT and one through VGA to the GT
      3. Plug in another monitor through HDMI to the i7

I did, accidentally, find a work around. If I unplug everything (with the computer off), and plug in only the HDMI display to the discrete graphics and turn on the computer, the other displays can be added successfully. Any other configuration (like only having a VGA connection on the discrete graphics) doesn't seem to work. Interestingly enough, attempting to come out of hibernation with the workaround results in the computer turning on, then quickly shutting off, then restarting with the one monitor on Intel graphics not working -- resulting in the initial problem manifesting again.