1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 1:44 PM by Intel_Peter

Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse

Mike-SYR

I'm following the steps in

IoT - Blinking an LED with the Eclipse* IDE | Intel® Developer Zone

I'm at step 4 where it implies I should see targets. I do not. At the point the tutorial obviously breaks down.

How do I establish a connection, find targets, etc?

(The Edison appears as a Hard Disk under "Computer" in Win 7)

(note: I've tried the C and C++ projects. Also, I have other threads in which I've sought help for the "java error" for which I've gotten no resolution... in case that matters here)

• 1. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
          Intel_Peter

Hello Mike-SYR,

I had the same issue as you Eclipse did not find any targets, so what I did was to enter them manually. In the field "Enter connection name:", I entered the name I gave to my Edison on the initial setup, in this case I used "Peter" as connection name. In the field "Enter Target name or IP address:" I entered my Edison's IP address, then I clicked on "OK" and "Finish" and I was able to follow the rest of the guide.

Peter.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
            Mike-SYR

Hmm I don't know what any "name" might be, nor how to find the IP.  Any hints?

• 3. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
              Intel_Peter

Connect to your Edison's Linux Terminal by following the guide found in IoT - Step 3: Set up a serial terminal | Intel® Developer Zone and set up its name, password and connect it to Wi-Fi with the command "configure_edison --setup". Once you have finished this, enter the command "ifconfig wlan0" and you should be able to see your Edison's IP address. The name will be the one you set up in "configure_edison --setup".

Peter.

• 4. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
                Mike-SYR

Sorry, that hasn't helped my original problem.  At the risk of asking too many questions and getting only "some" answers, here I go:

I ran the ifconfig command and got a "HWaddr" and an "inet6 addr" -

1. I take it the latter is the one I want. Correct?  <-- if not, then what?

2. It is of the form FE80::1234:1234:1234:1234/64  <-- what do I do with this? While creating a target in Eclipse do I enter this inet6 addr "as is" (double colon and slash-64), or expand out the missing zeroes, or convert to decimal (as the example halfway down on IoT - Blinking an LED with the Eclipse* IDE | Intel® Developer Zone seems to indicate) or what? (I've tried a multitude of combinations to no avail)

3. Once I enter that info it appears impossible to edit it.  Eclipse accepts whatever I enter and places it into a "Target SSH Connections" window. But when I try to open that connection by double clicking, it asks for a password but says it's optional (do I need one or not? I did establish one during --setup   <-- again , I tried combinations to no avail).   And then the connection fails and my only option is to delete that "target" and start over.

4. As a test I hoped I could "ping" the target, but that hasn't helped.  Should I be able to ping the board in a Win7 "Command" window?

Thanks.

edit: perhaps my confusion is more general - is some of this IDE-Edison development connectivity supposed to be happening over the wlan (as in wireless LAN) - and NOT the USB?

If not, why the "wlan0" in the ifconfig command?

• 5. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
                  Intel_Peter

1. Yes, you are correct. The Edison's IP address is the one next to inet, just like shown in the picture bellow:

ip.PNG

2.This is how I entered the data into Eclipse, as I mentioned before, Eclipse didn't find my board so added it manually, you can set the Edison's name with configure_edison --name or with configure_edison --setup:

target.PNG

3. Yes, you do need a password , otherwise the SSH connection will not be established.

4. Yes, you should be able to ping to your board's IP address. That means that both the Edison and the PC must be connected to the same  network, otherwise the SSH connection is not possible, therefore Eclipse won't be able to connect to your board.

I hope this helps, let me know.

Peter.

• 6. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
                    Mike-SYR

Is an inet6 address OK ?

It's given in hex - must it be entered in decimal into the IDE?

When I ping, is it trying to use a Wifi connection to the Edison, or the USB?

• 7. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
                      Taimoor

No, use the IPv4 addresses like 192.168.0.1 (whatever your case might be).

Intel_Peter, you should add this explanation to an FAQ style topic for newbies... It was awesome. Wish I had this when I started.. would've saved some time

• 8. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
                        Mike-SYR

So...How do I obtain the ipv4 address?

Also: When I ping, is it trying to use a Wifi connection to the Edison, or the USB?

• 9. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
                          Intel_Peter

Taimoor, thank you for your suggestion, I'll see if it can be done .

Mike-SYR, the IP version depends on the network configuration, you will have to check you router's configuration in order to set up an IPv4. When you use the ping command, you are sending packets to the IP address you specify and checking how long it takes for them to come back, so the Edison (or any computer for that matter) will use the network interface available, whether it is Wi-Fi, Ethernet, etc. Make sure your PC is connected to the same network; you can check that in Windows by opening cmd and entering the command "ipconfig".

Peter.

• 10. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
                            Mike-SYR

Admittedly, I may have issues outside the Edison and its tools (whether that be my lack of understanding, or issues with my laptop) so I appreciate any verbose help, and apologize if I appear dense!

>>the IP version depends on the network configuration, you will have to check you router's configuration in order to set up an IPv4

I'm confused - the command was issued -over the USB - to the Edison board itself - why does it matter about any LAN or WLAN I may or may not have?

I ask because I have no WiFi or LAN connectivity (no router, no nothing) where I do most of my work - that's why I've been asking:

When I ping, is it trying to use a Wifi connection to the Edison, or the USB?

I'd appreciate an answer to both questions.

Thanks

• 11. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
                              Intel_Peter

Oh I see, the way Edison connects to Eclipse is through SSH, therefore you have got to have a network connection in your board (it doesn't need to have access to the internet) and on the PC you are going to use (both must be on the same network, otherwise it won't work). If you want to set Wi-Fi on your Edison you can do it with the command "configure_edison --setup" or the command "configure_edison --wifi".

If you don't want to be connected to a network in order to program your board, you could create and compile your scripts directly from Linux with the help of libmraa, the compiler of your choice (gcc, g++, Node.JS, Python, etc.) and some basic Linux tools such as vi. Let me know if you would like to learn more about this approach and I will give you a simple example on how to do it.

Peter.

• 13. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
                                Mike-SYR

Answering my own question, yes it does apply.  (  Edison - Ethernet Over USB on Windows  )

I followed the steps and can now connect over the USB to the Edison. 

puTTY SSH works.

ping works.

Eclipse IDE works.

I tried the LED blink app, but there are other problems...which should probably be addressed in another thread.

( Edison mini breakout board - unblinkable LED )

• 14. Re: Connecting to Edison Breakout in Eclipse
                                  Mike-SYR

Intel_Peter

I respectfully suggest the steps I went through also be considered for any update to the guide / FAQ.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

1 2 Previous Next