1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 9:39 AM by Intel_Alvarado

Inquiry into Intel® Galileo Gen 2 and the possible use of USB host as power supply for a computer fan controlled by the Galileo and a relay.

wolf_Hunter

Hello and thank you for taking the time into reading and responding into this inquiry.

First off a little information on this inquiry.

The project I’m working on that brought up this inquiry was for the concern of heat buildup of the Galileo in the housing it will be contained in and its location. After reflection of past experience and research, I determine that it was possible to use a USB cable that was spliced and wired correctly with a relay and the Galileo programmed with a temperature sensor to control the fan when needed so that the Galileo and anything else will not get damage from heat.

Now I’ve played with designs before with different devices in the past and have some understanding of computer hardware and their specifics to comprehend the issues that I have stumbled across or have researched into enough to come to a decision to try a method kinda like this inquiry.

So now onto the question at hand.

• The question I was wondering about is it possible to utilize the USB host on the Intel® Galileo Gen 2 as the power supply for this application.

The following is the list of items I’m using because of limitations and what I know to address any questions or concerns about the basis of this inquire, and then my concerns with closing remarks after concerns  are listed.

What I know:

• Intel® Galileo Gen 2 Development Board
          • Grove Relay (@https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/sensors/grove-relay)
          • Grove Temperature Sensor(@https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/sensors/grove-temperature-sensor)
          • USB cable being spliced
          • 120 mm computer fan that runs at 12 VDC with Current at 0.15A that has before worked at 5 volts.
          • Other computer fans may need to be considered if they will work at power requirement or their power draw impact.(too much power draw result in damage, too little power draw result not working)
          • Space of operation has access to wifi but power is limited to only a single power source, the Galileo only, with no means of expansion.
          • There is no means to order new parts, utilize parts on hand to make something custom, or access to equipment to build custom components, like a 3D printer to print a fan and attach to a motor.

Concerns:

• Didn’t know if Intel® Galileo Gen 2 could handle this because the specifics on this board were a little confusing on some aspects while other micro-controller boards I’ve used provided such details. The power draws on the pins were clear but as noted, there are some details I was lost on and it makes me very cautious.
          • In the end I didn’t want to damage my chance of using an expensive board to handle a project and be hindered because of a hunch that could not be decided on from experience or research.
          • Waste of limited resources

So with that I thank anyone who responds on this and the expansion of understanding of computer hardware and the Intel® Galileo Gen 2 background or raise further questions and proposed solutions.

p.s. Notes: I tried as best I can to write this in case this may be seen as a possible resources for others who are looking into something similar or those who are new to this regardless of their background for a means      of guiding points without having to shift through confusing comments between myself and others. As such there may be no respond expect acknowledgement that the advice worked, not worked, or      mistaken interpretation caused by my writing.

Disclaimer:  As a worry for any mistaken intent. I take no stance on the wolf debate. My name is symbolic because my ability to hunt down information for questions I have or inquiring for others. I also like to be      creative in personality when applicable.Thanks again for understanding.