1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 4:37 PM by DrWattsOn

NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD

a3aens

I just recieved my new NUC5I7RYH and added 2 X G.Skill Ripjaws - DDR3L 1600Mhz CL9 SO-DIMM Module - 8GB  and aSamsung SM951 - M.2 - 256GB

Now when I try to install windows 7 on the ssd I get the following message:

Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 1 (show details)

20151122_010743.jpg

Those details are:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

20151122_010802.jpg

In the bios version 350 it detects the harddrive and it seems fine.

20151122_011602.jpg

20151122_011617.jpg20151122_011627.jpg20151122_011636.jpg

Does anybody have a clue how I can fix the issue?

I tried installing Windows from USB drive and a network drive both are giving the same problem.

Tried some different bios settings, but none seem to fix the problem?

When I inserted a normal sata harddrive I was able to install windows to that partion.

So it really seems a M.2 PCIe problem.

I have read that there are problems with the 350 version of the bios which I am on, but this is the version it was shipped with and also the most recent one.

Should I try and downgrade my bios version? Or is there a problem with my SSD? Or is there a problem with my NUC?

Is it a hardware problem of a software (BIOS) problem?

Any ideas on how I can enable the SSD for windows installation are welcome.

• 1. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
          jasonNUC

Hi a3aens,

I didn't see in the screen shots if UEFI is enabled. The shot you show has the drive detected as legacy. Have you tried installing Windows with UEFI enabled?

Thanks.

Jason

• 2. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
            a3aens

Thx for the reply JasonNUC,

UEFI is not enabled, I thought you could not enable both legacy boot and UEFI boot.

Now I changed the bios so both UEFI and legacy boot where enabled and got the same result. I end up with windows installer saying that  windows cannot be installed on this disk.

When I enable uefi boot and disable legacy boot, I get the option to install over network ipv4 or ipv6, when I choose ipv4 it seems that he can connect to my serva server which is running.

But when then I see a blink of the message downloading nbp file and then he returns me to the screen where I can choose between ipv4 and ipv6.

When choosing uefi boot, it doesn't recognize the usb storage key with the windows installer on.

Any more idea's?

• 3. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
              jasonNUC

I'm running my NUC5I7RYH with BIOS 350 an an Intel m.2 drive, but I started with Windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10. Previously I'd been running it with Windows 7 on the original BIOS (don't recall which one) and it installed and ran fine, so it may indeed be the BIOS that's the problem.  I've seen a number of comments about the current BIOS release needing some tweaks.

I would be interested to know if you get the same behavior with a SATA drive. That might shed some light on the situation.  Have you reached out to Intel support to see if they can offer any suggestions?

• 4. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                a3aens

When I plugin a sata drive I have no problems at all, I can install windows on the drive and windows is running.

I think I will try to downgrade the bios and see if I can install windows 7 on the M.2 drive, if it succeeds, I can still upgrade the bios to 350.

I'll keep you informed.

• 5. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                  a3aens

I downgraded bios to 249 version and was finally able to install windows 7 on the disk!

Thx for helping me figure it out.

• 6. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                    jasonNUC

Awesome!  I'm glad to know it's working for you. Hopefully the Intel team can provide a quick fix in an updated BIOS.

• 7. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                      mikec_intel

Hi a3aens,

Your SSD came partitioned as GPT, this chipset SATA mode only works with Windows® 8 or higher. It is necessary to select “Drive options (advanced)”, delete the partition and format the SSD again. Then, install the operating system. Windows® 7 uses NTFS.

I suggest you to get into BIOS and reset the settings to default with F9 before installing the operating system.

Regards,
                      Mike C

• 8. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                        cvare

This issue has been reproduced and the engineering team is working on a fix.  For now go back to the earlier BIOS.  Thank you for all the information.

• 9. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                          Jojje

Just experienced the same problem on a NUC5i5RYH with a Kingston SM2280S3/120G. Installing on a normal 2.5" driver worked but failed on the M.2 disk. I got error when copying the files during the Windows 10 installation (booting of USB stick). Both BIOS 350 and 348 had the same problem but it worked with BIOS 249.

Keep us updated on a fix. Thanks!

• 10. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                            wirezfree

This is really helpful, I have spent over 1 week trying to install Win7 on a NUC5i7RYH,

1st to a Samsung 951 nvme, then to a Samsung 951 AHCI and finally, to a Samsung 840 Evo M.2

The drive was recognised in BIOS, but I also got the message "Windows cannot be installed to..."

I managed to get Win7 on the Samsung 951 nvme by 1st installing Win7 to a regular disk, 40GB partition,

then applying 2 hotfixes from MS, then cloning to a 50GB partition I created on the Samsung 951 nvme,

But,,

I then tried to install Linux Lite, it installed, Linux has a native nvme driver, but it would not boot.

It said: "error attempting to Read/Write outside of disk" "HD0" ~ Then a kernel panic occured

For Linux users see my saga: https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/hard-drives-and-ssd

I found this thread this morning, I reverted to 249 BIOS, I could then install Win7 on the Samsung 840 Evo M.2

I'm now going to image the drive, and see if I can restore the image back on to the Samsung 951 nvme drive,

If that works, I will then try installing Linux Lite.

• 11. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                              mikec_intel

Hi All,

NVMe technology requires UEFI in the BIOS, please be sure the UEFI Boot and Legacy Boot are enable. Windows® 7 is considered a Legacy operating system and the support is limited for this new technology, it is better to upgrade the system to Windows® 8.x or 10.

Please double check the PDF below:

Booting from a NVMe* PCIe* Intel® SSD

http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/nvme_boot_guide_332098001us.pdf

Regards,
                              Mike C

• 12. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                                wirezfree

@Mike C

Many thanks for the prompt response, much appreciated, and "NOTED on the NVME drives"

With reverting back to BIOS 249 I have now successfully installed, in Legacy mode, Windows 7 and Linux Lite(Ubuntu 14.04 LTS based)

in Dual Boot mode on a Samsung 840 Evo M.2, this is just like a regular SATA drive, but in M.2 variant.

I realise you cannot always comment on individual configurations and set-up...

My fiends already RMA/Returned the original Samsung 951 AHCI model drive,

given the BIOS change, what is the likelihood of it now working with the Samsung 951 AHCI ..??

• 13. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                                  mikec_intel

Hi wirezfree,

It is necessary to verify the settings of your friend Nuc’s BIOS. It possibly worked enabling UEFI and Legacy boot options at the same time. Keep in mind, NVMe technology is recommended for the latest operating system Windows® 8.x and Windows® 10.

Regards,
                                  Mike C

• 14. Re: NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD
                                    wirezfree

Hi,

After downgrading from BIOS 0350 to 0249

I have installed Win7 & Linux Lite(Ubuntu 14.04 variant) in Legacy dual boot with BIOS 0249 all O.K

Except the IR is not recognised any more.

There is a new BIOS 0352 does this fix the 0350 problems..??

Thanks

1 2 3 Previous Next