2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 11:44 AM by elysch

Does the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 support hosted networks?

deveshmanish

Does the 3165AC support hosted networking at all on any version of windows and/or driver version?

I have been googling the same for the past 3 hours but unable to find any solutions.

I am trying to set up a wifi hotspot on win10.

• 1. Re: Does the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 support hosted networks?
          jonathan_intel

Hello deveshmanish,

The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 and other current Intel® Wireless adapters are not designed to be used as Wireless Hotspots (Infrastructure mode). They only include basic Hosted Network functionality (Ad-hoc, WiFi direct).

You can find more information about this topic in the following thread: Hosted network using the AC7265

• 2. Re: Does the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 support hosted networks?
            elysch

I can confirm that it is possible.

Using the information found at: https://communities.intel.com/thread/102972 I did get it to work on my Windows 10 Dell Inspiron_7568_2-in-1.

In my case I couldn't get it to work using version 18.33.0.1, but it did work using version 18.32.0.5.

Here is a copy of the message (just in case). I found the windows 10 64bit driver searching the web, don't have the link now:

HugoLindstrom escribió:

Hi!

I ran in to the same issue trying to connect to a IBSS network on Windows 10 using Intel Dual band Wireless-AC 8260 Driver 18.40.0.9.

Checking

netsh wlan show wirelesscapabilities

WDI Version (Windows) : 0.1.0.1

WDI Version (IHV) : 0.1.0.1

Soft AP : Not supported

IBSS : Not Supported

Rolling back to 18.33.0.1 (Windows 8.1) driver enables what's needed to connect:

WDI Version (Windows) : 0.0.0.0

WDI Version (IHV) : 0.0.0.0

Soft AP : Supported

IBSS : Supported

To rollback:

1. Install the 8260 driver for Windows 8.1 on your Windows 10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 8.1*.
            2. Device Manager,
            3. right-click on your Wireless Network Adapter,
            4. Update driver software,
              1. Browse My Computer for driver software,
              2. Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer,
              3. Choose your older driver,
              4. Next,
              5. Close
            5. Verify using netsh:
              1. netsh wlan show wirelesscapabilities
              2. netsh wlan show driver

My guess is that Intel removed SoftAP, Hosted Network support from their latest driver as IBSS (Native 802.11 Miniport Drivers (Windows Drivers) ) is deprecated by Microsoft and might stop working by upgrading Windows in a unknown future.

Hope it helps