9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2015 5:15 PM by IOT-fan

Troubleshooting device connection

IOT-fan

Is there any documentation for troubleshooting connection problems?  I can get my virtual gateway online but my device remains offline even though I have followed the set up instructions.

• 1. Re: Troubleshooting device connection
          IOT-fan

A bit more detail: I am using a Galileo Gen 2.  From what I can tell the Galileo is not booting correctly from the micro SD card.  All that is on the microSD card is EFI/Boot/ which contains bootapp.sys and bootia32.efi 

I can tell it is not booting correctly because I can putty to the COM port and all I get is a grub> prompt.  It's like the Galileo is not seeing the SD card as a valid boot image.

• 2. Re: Troubleshooting device connection
            robinson.WR

Hi,

Is it the first time you use this board? Did you ever boot this board by using another OS image?

If your board is good and functional, please follow the deploying instructions of Wind River Rocket to check the SD content:

• Does this SD card format as a FAT32 file system, and the capacity is  1 GB or larger?
            • Did you extract the OS image to the SD Card correctly?

If the SD content is good, please check the firmware of your board is supporting SD booting or not, and also check the SD card compatibility (with your board). For this you can download the Yocto OS image to verify it. Please visit this site to make a bootable micro SD Card (https://software.intel.com/en-us/programming-blank-sd-card-with-yocto-linux-image-linux).

Hope these info are useful to you!

• 3. Re: Troubleshooting device connection
              IOT-fan

Thanks for the reply.  I am able to boot successfully using the Yocto image.  I have done this from two different SD cards, so I am confident the board is working right.  I am guessing I have something wrong with the Wind River Rocket SD configuration.  I formatted the SD card and extracted the Rocket files to the card.  See image below for the file structure on the SD card (E:).  From a terminal session I can see that when I attempt to boot with the SD card configured this way the boot process does not recognize the SD card and is using the firmware embedded on the board.

2015-11-23_10-14-48.jpg

• 4. Re: Troubleshooting device connection
                mfoglia

I see the same directory/file structure on my working SD card.  I suspect there is something up with recognition of the SD card. 

Please try this:  Ensure your putty session recognizes the function keys(Terminal->Keyboard-The Function keys and keypad->SCO.)  Reboot the Galileo and press the 'F7' key when first prompted.  Use the arrows to select "UEFI Internal Shell". 

Galileo_BootDevice.PNG

Do you see fs0 in the Device mapping table?  If so, at the "Shell>" prompt type fs0:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTIA32.EFI and return.

EFI_Shell.PNG

Does the board boot into Rocket now?  Here is what a valid boot looks like:

Rocket_Boot.PNG

If you get this far, then the Galileo should connect to Helix App Cloud.  You must exit the putty connection and then start up the virtual gateway.

(Of course, this is not meant to be a final solution.)

• 5. Re: Troubleshooting device connection
                  IOT-fan

When you say "Press F7 key when first prompted" - I am not sure what you mean.  grub comes up immediately and then fails to load from the firmware (a different problem I have with this Galileo2).  I am not able to interrupt grub loading as far as I can see.
                  2015-11-23_13-25-36.jpg

2015-11-23_13-26-15.jpg

• 6. Re: Troubleshooting device connection
                    mfoglia

This is the first screen I see about 5 seconds after applying power to the board:

F7.PNG

Do you see this?  Do you have a USB flash drive plugged in?

If you remove the SD card and the USB flash drive (assuming it was plugged in), does it boot to Yocto (i.e. clanton login: )?

• 7. Re: Troubleshooting device connection
                      IOT-fan

No USB flash drive in use.  The first screen I come to is the GRUB interface shown in my previous picture.  I think my board's firmware is messed up.  I was given the board at a class so I am not sure what may have been done to it before I got it.

I have seen some articles that talk about how to fix this but they are beyond my ability.  Need an EASY button!  Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: Troubleshooting device connection
                        mfoglia

The firmware is "messed up" and the easy button removed by design

Whoever provided the board wanted to ensure that you could only boot into the "IDP" (Intelligent Device Platform.)  This demonstrates the secure boot features of the Quark chipset.

You will need to update the firmware to proceed.  If you no longer have the image provided at the workshop, then you might as well give it a shot.

• 9. Re: Troubleshooting device connection
                          IOT-fan

Well, it is pretty secure!  There is still something I am missing: when I power up the device with no SD card and it boots into the IDP, it appears that the serial port is not active.  At least I can't see it from my computer using either the mini-USB or FTDI connection.  I was hoping to run the firmware updater tool and be back in business but without a serial port, that does not work.  So I think I am back to needing to go through the "bricked module" recovery steps.  But is there some other way?  For now, I am just booting with Yocto from SD and I can at least do things with the Galileo that way.