3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2015 5:27 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Problems with DH87RL and UEFI

Passwort

Hello

I'm using the DH87RL Mainboard, and I just updated to the most recent BIOS version. Since then, the BIOS is only displayed in a small area at the middle of the monitor. The Edges are dark.

There is also no mouse support (The Mouse arrow doesn't move) but this happened before the update also.

The main problem now is, I need to install windows 7 x64 on a PCI SSD (Samsung MZHPV256HDGL via Delock 89370 Adapter) and therefor I have to install windows in UEFI Mode. This doesn't work.

I only see UEFI bootble devices, If the win dvd is in the tray. If I start the setup, the PC is starting over and displaying "press key to boot from dvd" only very short. Then, the "windos is loading files" appears, but either nothing happens and a error message "windows failed to start" appears - or win setup starts but in legacy mode. I see this when I want to choose an installation partition and win tells me that it can't install there.

I could install win and run it without problems in legacy mode. But that way I can't use the PCI SSD.

I know, I did install win in UEFI mode ast year (on a SATA SSD), because it was GPT when I wanted to reinstall. I just don't know, how I did it. The BIOS had full Mouse support, though.

Ananyone help me?

Thanks and BR,

Thorsten

• 1. Re: Problems with DH87RL and UEFI
          N.Scott.Pearson

There is at least one compatibility issue with specific Samsung M.2 SSDs that are plaguing the NUC products right now (see the NUC forum for more details). It is possible (and, in fact, much more likely) that this/these compatibility issue(s) also apply to the (older) Desktop Board products. I am sure that Intel will be doing whatever they can to fix these issues for the NUC products but, because the Desktop Board products have been end-of-lifed, I rather doubt you will see these fixes included in BIOSs for them (even if they do apply). For the 8 Series Intel Desktop Board products, I would stick with SATA and MSATA SSDs...

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful...

...Scott

• 2. Re: Problems with DH87RL and UEFI
            Passwort

seriously? That's awful....

Is it normal, that the BIOS is displayed in a small prt of the screen?

Probably now I have to decide if I get rid of the SSD or buy a new mainboard. Oh man... :-(

• 3. Re: Problems with DH87RL and UEFI
              N.Scott.Pearson

Visual BIOS utilizes a fixed 1024 x 768 pixel display; it is not designed to scale. If the monitor is capable of running at this particular resolution, then it is configured to do so when Visual BIOS is initiated. If the monitor is not capable of running at this resolution, however, Visual BIOS will display itself in a 1024 x 768 pixel window at the center of the screen. Depending upon the actual resolution of the monitor, this could potentially be a very small portion of the available screen space.

...S