8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 8:53 AM by ivanu_intel

Boot from SD Card

hugolost

Hi,

My WIndows crashed an the Recovery dont Work.

Now i want to install Windows 10 from the SD card but in the bios an the boot menu i cant find the sd card.

How can i boot from SD Card?

hugolost

• 1. Re: Boot from SD Card
          hugolost

Nobody an idea?

• 2. Re: Boot from SD Card
            Tom Yan

Don't bother to use a SD card directly as installation media. Vanilla Windows does not include the required drivers for the slot, so even if your UEFI found the bootia32.efi, you'll at least need to load driver somewhere.

Nice UEFI should be able to find the bootx64.efi (or bootia32.efi if it's 32-bit) in \EFI\BOOT on any FAT-formatted medium.

• 3. Re: Boot from SD Card
              hugolost

On My Desktop PC i can boot Windows 10 Setup from my SD Card Reader without an additional driver (SD card created with Microsoft Media Creation Tool).

On the Compute Stick there is in the Bios no Option to boot from SD card.

• 4. Re: Boot from SD Card
                Tom Yan

Oh I merely mean the builtin (native) micro sd reader. micro sd in USB readers will be like normal thumb drives so that's won't have issue.

Have you upgraded the UEFI to the latest version? Or tried using the USB reader on the stick? Perhaps the UEFI of the stick simply doesn't look for efi binary on builtin micro sd reader.

• 5. Re: Boot from SD Card
                  Tom Yan

Apparently there's an option in the UEFI setting to called "USB boot" (but no such thing as "SD boot"), which might hint that it does not support booting from the builtin micro sd reader. Also make sure you the option is enabled when you try to use a USB reader.

• 6. Re: Boot from SD Card
                    ivanu_intel

Hi all,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

You will not be able to use the Micro-SD to create a bootable device to do a fresh installation; it will not work with the Intel® Compute Stick.

In this case if you try to do a fresh installation the warranty will be void, at this point I would recommend following the next steps to see if you can recover your system.

Update the Intel® Compute Stick BIOS; please download the latest BIOS version for this unit at the following link:

Download BIOS Update [FCBYT10H.86A]

In this case I recommend doing a BIOS recovery and you can follow the steps here:

Intel® Compute Stick — BIOS Recovery Instructions

After that is done reset the system to factory defaults:

1. Remove any SD card, if installed.
                    2. Press F8 when you see this prompt during boot: F8 to Activate Windows 8.1* Recovery Mode.
                    3. Select Troubleshoot.
                    4. Select Reset your PC, then select Next.
                    5. Select just remove my files.
                    6. Select Reset to start the restore process.

If these troubleshooting steps work for you, try upgrading to Windows 10; please follow the steps to upgrade to Windows 10 here:

Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC — Windows® 10 Upgrade Instructions

If these steps do not solve the problem, replace the Intel Compute Stick, either:

At your place of purchase, or by submitting a service request to Intel customer support.

Thanks,

• 7. Re: Boot from SD Card
                      Tom Yan

Your reply is simply insane:

"You can use the Micro-SD to create the windows 10 ISO installation image..."

"You will not be able to use the Micro-SD to create a bootable device to do a fresh installation..."

Do you even know what the hell you are talking about?

• 8. Re: Boot from SD Card
                        ivanu_intel

I'm sorry, I made a mistake, the Micro-SD  cannot be use as bootable device with the Intel® Compute Stick.

I apologize for the mistake tom.ty89

Thanks,