7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 3:03 PM by mikec_intel

NUC5CPYH Black screen after BIOS

ETCFrance

Hi everyone,

I bought an Intel NUC5CPYH with Kingston SSD and a crucial 2GB of RAM.

I tried to install Window 7 using the creator on the site, using "How to Install Windows 7 with only USB 3.0 Ports" and each time after the first screen my screen stay black.

I've changed in the bios the option to install Windows 7 and the order to boot on my USB first.

Then I tried with windows 8, 8.1 and 10 (with the good option in the bios) the screen stay black, I upgraded the BIOS to the last version and retried with 7,8,8.1 and 10, still black.

I used USB 3 and USB 2 key and it didn't change the problem.

I begin to think the problem comes from the NUC this is why I need your help.

Thanks by advance,

Guillaume

• 1. Re: NUC5CPYH Black screen after BIOS
          mikec_intel

Hi ETCFrance,

You are getting a black screen after the BIOS process (start up). What do mean with black screen; are you getting an error message? This NUC has a VGA video port and HDMI 1.4b port. Are you getting the same behavior with both video outputs? Please let me know if it is possible to get into the BIOS.

In case of the HDMI, are you using straight video cables (high quality with version 1.4b or a at least) or with adapters?

If you are able to get into the BIOS, reset it with F9, save with F10 then, get in the BIOS again, select your operating system and save changes with F10. Double check with any other computer if your USB bootable drive is working properly.

Regards,
          MiKe C

• 2. Re: NUC5CPYH Black screen after BIOS
            ETCFrance

Hi Mike,

I've found why i've got black screen (no error messages, juste black) after trying to boot, all the RAM package that we've commanded was out, with a new RAM, I can boot and arrive to the screen where I have to chose the installation language.

And I have another problem, keyboard and mouse don't work, even with the USB 3.0 driver in it.

Thanks for your care,

Guillaume

• 3. Re: NUC5CPYH Black screen after BIOS
              mikec_intel

Hi ETCFrance,

I am going to make a test in my lab using our recommendations in the article CS-035689 “Installing Windows 7* on Computers with USB 3.0”
              I will give you a update as soon as possible.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: NUC5CPYH Black screen after BIOS
                Toejah

Hi Mike

I also have been having this error with my NUC5CPYH.
                After selecting any option in the boot selection menu(F10 part) all I get is a blank screen. Would not even show any of the LAN boot attempt info.
                Memory that I'm using is the Gskill F3-133C9S-8GSL
                I tried a stick form a set of Gskill F3-1866C11D-16GRSL this set is working in another Nuc. Same blank screen.
                Usb stick booted on second nuc unit with no problems.
                I hope this added info from a second unit helps.

Toejah

• 5. Re: NUC5CPYH Black screen after BIOS
                  mikec_intel

Hi Toejah,

Please do this workaround and let us know your behavior. Update the BIOS to the latest version 0044 then, go to BIOS and reset it with F9, save changes (F10). Try to install again your operating system.

Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC5CPYH

If problem continues, send me the operating system version, memory specs, BIOS settings (if not the default), type of video cable and hardware attached to the NUC.

Regards,
                  Mike C

• 6. Re: NUC5CPYH Black screen after BIOS
                    Toejah

Hi Mike

I loaded the new bios and reset it no luck

The ram is Gskill F3-1333C9S-8GSL its listed on the tested memory list

have tried a usb load of windows 7, 8, and 10 all were tested on other

machines and worked

all were tried in every usb slot on the unit and using multiple

different usb drives

Using the HDMI for video and SanDisk SSD PLUS 2.5" 120GB SATA Revision 3.0 SDSSDA-120G-G25 with Logitech Mk360 wireless keyboard and mouse.

hope that helps

Thanks

• 7. Re: NUC5CPYH Black screen after BIOS
                      mikec_intel

Hi Toejah,

If you already tested with a second straight video cable with the same results; I will suggest contacting our support service and request a replacement of the NUC.Contact Support

Please remember to change the operating system at Boot Configuration tab.

Regards,
                      Mike C