6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2009 7:31 AM by Paul_DQ45CB

OS not seeing HDD's

Paul_DQ45CB

Hi,

In a nutshell my problem is: BIOS sees HDD’s and RAID0 but OS don’t.

I just built a new system with a DQ45CB M/B and Q8200 Core 2 Quad processor. I'm using 2 Seqgate 160gb drives from my old system, they’re not new, but they were working great when my K8V M/B died, which prompted the new build.

BIOS sees the drives and I'm able to enter the Matrix Storage Manager to establish a RAID0 array. However, when I try to install the OS (Ubuntu) it can't find the drives. Norton PartitionMagic can't detect the HDD's or a product called Partition Logic.

I've been fighting with this for days now. Any suggestions, please?!?!

Thanks.

Paul

• 1. Re: OS not seeing HDD's
          Nico

are you sure a onboard-raid setup with ich10r is supported by ubuntu?

• 2. Re: OS not seeing HDD's
            Paul_DQ45CB

Hello Nico. Thanks for using your time to reply to my question!

You ask a very good question. Perhaps the answer lies in why noone on the Ubuntu forums will answer my questions regarding the failed install on my Intel platform.

I bought a cheap scsi (pci) raid controller tonight, and I'm about to try another install of Ubuntu using that. Not sure it will work bacause I won't have any HDD's plugged into the MB.

Regards.

Paul

• 3. Re: OS not seeing HDD's - Update
              Paul_DQ45CB

First, this system HAS to be seeing the HDD's because I can create a raid array. So my initial post regarding the HDD's not being seen by the system cannot be right, I think.

Okay, that didn't work. (RE, my last post: using a scsi raid controller).

I'm at the point where I don't know if this MB is working properly. I don't have an operating system on this board yet, does anyone know of any DOS tools I can use to test the MB? All I can say about the board is that I can geti into BIOS using F2. I've also been able to create a raid0 array using the CNTL/I.

The only thing I've done to the MB since building the system: Updated the BIOS to version CB0109.

I'm between a rock and a hard place here, because today is the last day I have to return this MB to the retailer. Can anyone help me to determine if the MB is okay? I would really appreciate it.

Regards.

Paul

• 4. Re: OS not seeing HDD's
                Nico

install without raid or ahci, then you see. tried that already?

• 5. Re: OS not seeing HDD's
                  Paul_DQ45CB

Hello Nico, thanks again for helping me!

I believe my analysis of the HDD's was completely wrong. I would not be able to create a raid array if BIOS wasn't detecting them, would I?

• 6. Re: OS not seeing HDD's
                    Paul_DQ45CB

Hi Nico!

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 using IDE as you suggested. As a new user of Intel products (Mobo and CPU) and Linux I must say I'm disappointed with both. Windows 3.1 used to run faster than this machine. I suspect it has a lot to do with using IDE, and it seems the only alternative would be to go with Windows 7. Although I don't like that option, it may be the only feasible solution.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

Paul