1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2016 8:38 AM by Archway1

Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?

harbor

updated to Windows 10 and found that there is significant slowdown judging by the work of reading is more HDD than SSD

• 1. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
          mcolom

Same here, my story:

-Using Intel RST with windows 8, no problems, the cache makes really a difference.

-Last august, update to Windows 10. System performance goes down, HDD is working all the time ( hear it working and activity LED on ), looks like caching is not working, even though the Intel RST application says everything is fine and its reporting that my HDD is accelerated. I solve the problem by updating the Intel RST driver to the last version. After that caching seems to work again and system performance improves a lot. Pls note that during the whole process Intel RST application said that everything was fine. Obviously, it wasn't.

-This Last week, I updated windows 10 with the fall update. System performance now is horrible. Again, the HDD is working too often. I'm quite sure that caching is not working, despite what the Intel RST application is telling me ( it tells everything is fine and the disk is accelerated ). The fact is that boot time has gone from 20 secs perhaps to 2 minutes, with the HDD working furiously during all the boot process.

I've tried repairing the intel RST ( I'm already with the last version, upgrading is not possible ), deactivating and reactivating acceleration, I have even rebuilding completely the acceleration partition, all of this without success, performance continues being horrible, and HDD works too much. All this is happening with the Intel RST application always reporting that the acceleration is working.

I've verified that the storage driver is the Intel SATA RAID one, and it is the last version.

Dont know what else to do... I need help.

• 2. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
            introuble

I was also facing the same issue after windows 10 November update. My issue got resolved by rolling back the Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller driver.

To roll back go to Device Manager -> Storage Controllers -> Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller -> Driver. Click on roll back driver. It will restore the driver which your computer was using before the update.

I hope this helps.

• 3. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
              mcolom

Thank you introuble

I tried that, but the rollback button is dimmed. Guess thats becauseI was already using the last version of the Intel SATA RAID driver. I've made some additional tests and it looks like RST is not doing any difference in the performance of the system, as if the Intel application thinks that my HDD is being accelerated, but actually windows is ignoring it?

• 4. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
                ec295

I had exactly the same issue as mcolom - after the recent November update, I experienced extremely slow boot times and eventually concluded that my Intel RST was not working, even though the Intel RST software showed everything as working normally (ie. acceleration on etc.). I'd never seen the HDD work so hard in all the years I'd had the computer and the sluggishness was really striking.

However, I'm very pleased to report that introuble's solution WORKS. Here's what I did:

- I went into Device Manager > Storage Controllers > Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller > Driver

- As in the case of mcolom, I found that the 'Rollback Driver' option was greyed out so instead I went to the 'Update Driver' box.

- I selected 'Browse my computer' and then 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers'

- To my surprise there were two drivers in the 'compatible hardware' list - one called 'Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller' and one called 'Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA Raid Controller'. I (correctly) assumed that the first one was the current one installed and the second one was some kind of older driver that my computer had stored deep inside its 'drivers' folder somewhere.

- I selected the 'Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA Raid Controller' and let it install. Immediately, my driver version dropped back from 14.x to 13.x, which confirmed that I had now installed an older driver.

- I rebooted, played around with Windows for an hour, rebooted again and... BANG, I was right back up to the incredibly fast boot up and responsiveness I was used to.

I'll continue to use the computer to see if this has actually solved the problem, but for now the evidence is that it has.

One thing I'd like to know, though, is why the old driver was on my computer at all? I did a format + clean install when I first installed Windows 10, which got rid of everything on the computer, so where has this old 13.x driver come from? Did it get stored in some sort of 'legacy drivers' folder when I did the November upgrade?

Anyway, perhaps this can help someone else. And, even if you find you don't have a legacy driver miraculously sitting on your computer, perhaps it's possible to install an older driver manually using the 'Have Disk' function?

• 5. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
                  mcolom

Yes!! Thank you introuble and ec295. ec295 I followed your instructions and now everything works like a charm with the old driver!!!

For the record, I also tried re-upgrading again to the new version, but no way. Looks like the fall update garbled the configuration for the driver that was in place at the moment and it will not work again. Anyway, I'm now running with the older version and system performance is back to normal.

I'm going to update a case I opened at Microsoft with a reference to this post.

Regards!!

Miquel

• 6. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
                    ec295

Excellent, I'm so glad it helped! Definitely try escalating with Microsoft and here with Intel - we need a fix soon, or at least an explanation!

• 7. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
                      EstebanC_Intel

Hello All:

I thank you introuble and ec295 for the workaround provided for this situation related to Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and Windows 10*.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 8. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
                        ec295

Glad to be of service @EstebanC_Intel If it is of any help, my computer is a Dell L521x (XPS 15) laptop from 2012. It has a 7-series Intel chipset and a 1TB WDC HDD + 32GB Samsung PM830 mSATA. My Windows 10 version, as you will have guessed, is 10586 (although they pushed out a new update last night, which I installed - I haven't tested to see if I can now use the updated driver). The Intel SATA Raid Controller driver that I am using - and which currently works - is 13.2.0.1022. The version of my Intel RST software is 14.0.6.1029.

• 10. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
                          cmonkey

I've been having similar problems. Originally, the performance problems happened after the upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10. Intel released new drivers in August which seemed to resolve the issue. However, the big Win10 November update has made Rapid Storage totally ineffective.

I tried reinstalling the current driver and resetting the cache on the solid-state drive (as worked for some people here), but that didn't help. I then tried to roll back the driver to version 13.2.0.1022 from February, but that only made my laptop even slower. The only other old driver on my machine is from March of 2013 (11.7.4.1001), but I can't roll back to that one because it throws an error: "This operation requires an interactive window session."

I changed back to the most recent driver (14.6.0.1029). Boot and login times are agonizingly slow, and the hard drive is bottlenecking constantly for 10-15 minutes each time I power on my laptop.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 from late 2012. Does anyone have any troubleshooting advice/possible solutions?

• 11. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
                            mikec_intel

Hi cmonkey,

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Did you follow the instructions of ec295?

Regards,
                            MiKe C

• 12. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
                              cmonkey

Yes, I installed the old drivers from Device Manager as he described. If anything, it made the problem worse, sadly. I might try fooling around with it a bit more, but I can't think of much that I haven't tried.

• 13. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
                                cmonkey

Update: I tried all of the steps again, but this time rebooted 3 or 4 times instead of just twice, as I did before. This totally fixed the problem! Thanks to everyone, especially ec295, for helping me get my laptop back up to speed.

• 14. Re: Why is caching Intel RST very slow on windows 10 compared to windows 8 ?
                                  ec295

Glad to be of service - sometimes it takes several reboots to rebuild the SSD cache.

1 2 Previous Next