3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 10:41 AM by EstebanC_Intel

Random fps drop while gaming

youforix

Well for a while now while playing games I have had a problem where my fps would just drop to 5-8 fps and this would constantly happen for example while playing fallout 4 it happens when i am looting a city or in somewhere heavily populated. My first thought while seeing this would be a performance issue but seeing the required specs for fallout i would definitely think that my pc could run it flawlessly. Specs include(GPU: gtx 760, CPU: i5-4690k, Two 1TB Hard drives Raid 0, 700w thermaltake psu, and 8 gigs of vengeance ram). I have done many things to try and make this problem disappear such as reinstalling windows many times even going as far as to try a different windows didn't help, I tried lowest settings of the game didn't help, my last option I could think of is my cpu being that during these random drops of fps i had control panel open in another monitor and the cpu would reach 100% usage. I don't know if Intel processors are supposed to do that or if it is irregular for all processors but I would regret the response that told me i needed to buy a new processor. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

• 1. Re: Random fps drop while gaming
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello youforix:

Here I have some recommendations for this situation.

First, when a GPU or video card is added to a system, the graphics from the processor would be disabled.

Now, regarding the issue, my recommendation would be to update to the latest driver from your GPU.

Secondly, I recommend you to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to see if any issues are present in your Intel® Core™ i5-4690K Processor.

Thirdly, the other way to go would be to contact the manufacturer of your GPU to see if they are aware of the situation, since this is a recently released game, some issues may be present until updates or patches are released.

If any additional questions are present, do not hesitate to advise me.

Regards,

Esteban C.

• 2. Re: Random fps drop while gaming
            youforix

I have tried the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and the last step CPU stress test caused the same problem that I receive in-game yet the test said that I passed? Any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: Random fps drop while gaming
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello youforix:

Thank you for your reply.

Since after running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool all the tests passed, my recommendation would be to contact your GPU manufacturer support to get more information or fixes for this situation.

I was able to find out that some other customers are having this issue, even with a very high end system, this may be related to the optimization performed by the developer of the game.

Here you can find some more information from forums for this situation: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3ssvnp/low_fps_in_cities_fallout_4_gtx_970/

GPU/Game recommendations: GeForce GTX 970: NVIDIA's Recommended GPU For Fallout 4 | GeForce

Manufacturer of GPU support: Support | GeForce

Support | NVIDIA

Finally, if you encounter with any additional questions, do not hesitate to advise me.

Regards,

Esteban C.