7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 11:50 AM by mikec_intel

NUC5i5RYK HDMI works for some displays, fails for others

ColinW

I have a Motorola Atrix Lapdock which I have previously been using as a display for my NUC5i5RYK (connected via a mini-hdmi male to full hdmi female cable plugged into a full hdmi male to micro hdmi female cable).

This setup was working flawlessly for about a month. After that, I began getting issues where the display would occasionally be blank during the POST, and would only activate once the OS had loaded. Over time this got flakier. Eventually, the display would blank even after the OS loaded unless I situated the cables very precisely, and finally, the display became unusable. Worth noting is that the display still powers-on with a "no signal detected" message when I connect it to the NUC.

So I bought another (identical) display, and another set of cables, thinking either one could be the issue. But both displays and both sets of cables don't work with the NUC.

I have a chromebook as well, and it turns out that it can drive both the new and old display flawlessly and with either set of cables. It's not picky about how the cables are situated either, like the NUC was. I have a Raspberry Pi model B (original) and it, too, drives the display fine.

Finally, I located a few other HDMI displays I could test with the NUC, and they all work. Through this process, I have verified that both displays are good, both of my mini-hdmi to full-hdmi cables work fine (with the NUC connected to other displays), both of my micro-hdmi to full-hdmi cables work (when connecting the displays to my chromebook) and the HDMI port of the NUC is good.

I have tried booting into Windows 8.1 as well as Arch Linux, and I also updated the BIOS to 350 using the .BIO file from the Intel Downloads Area. I am at a loss as to what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.