7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2009 4:41 AM by miriamalmeida

what processor / motherboard to chose?

miriamalmeida

Hello everyone, i've got some doubts about what processor and motherboard i should buy, intel core i7 extreme edition or intel xeon processor, and an intel DX58SO extreme series motherboard or some other which supports the processor chipset, i just don't know if the brand matters here, if it can be an intel motherboard, asus rampage, asrock, gigabyte motherboard, whatever...what are the best ones to create digital media content, mostly 2d and 3d animation, video, sound and photo editing? i'm not concerned about gaming, i want a powerfull pc to work, not to play...i need to make my creative projects and don't being worried about "crashes" all the time. i want a machine with a longlife time and not concern with upgrades the next 2-3 years. Please someone could help me choosing?... i would be soo thankful.

Hello everyone, i've got some doubts about what processor and motherboard i should buy, intel core i7 extreme edition or intel xeon processor, and an intel DX58SO extreme series motherboard or some other which supports the processor chipset, i just don't know if the brand matters here, if it can be an intel motherboard, asus rampage, asrock, gigabyte motherboard, whatever...what are the best ones to create digital media content, mostly 2d and 3d animation, video, sound and photo editing? i'm not concerned about gaming, i want a powerfull pc to work, not to play...i need to make my creative projects and don't being worried about "crashes" all the time. i want a machine with a longlife time and not concern with upgrades the next 2-3 years. Please someone could help me choosing?... i would be soo thankful.

• 1. Re: what processor / motherboard to chose?
          Nico

be more specific about your exact needs. and what's your budget again?

• 2. Re: what processor / motherboard to chose?
            miriamalmeida

Well, budget i'd say around €3000 ($4.384,80), i'm gonna ask for credit to pay it. My needs are a workstation with creative software, such as Adobe Photoshop, illustrator, Flash, After Effects, Premiere, Autodesk Maya, 3D Studio Max, Toon Boom, and ohter 2d animation software. That's the purpose of my pc. To make my own projects and start to work from home as a freelancer. I know that intel core i7 extreme edition is a bit expensive, but i've been told that intel xeon is designed to servers and enterprises, not for a single person. The point is my pc will be, actually, a workstation, and they say that intel xeon is meant for servers AND WORKSTATIONS, so that's my big question: what processor is enough for my work demands, AND what motherboard will work fine, i'm concerned if the brand is important here, if it can be intel's or can be another one's. I forgot to mention a very important detail: i want a 64-bit based computer, in order to be able to get more that 4GB of memory; i know that intel core i7 and intel xeon support EM64T technology...do you think that's a good choice? should i first make sure that the hardware and programs i'll be using have a 64-bit version? i'm so confuused

• 3. Re: what processor / motherboard to chose?
              Nico

if i was you i would buy a workstation from dell -> Dell Precision.

• 4. Re: what processor / motherboard to chose?
                miriamalmeida

Cool, i'm gonna search about it. I was also thinking of HP Workstation Z800 but that's too expensive...but it only brings the intel xeon, not the core i7

Ah other thing: do you think that a quad-core processor will work fine for me, or a 8-core one? Thank you so much Nico

• 5. Re: what processor / motherboard to chose?
                  Nico

4-core i7 or xeon is enough, and keeps the price down.

• 6. Re: what processor / motherboard to chose?
                    sndtechie

Hi,

A 920 i7 would work fine. I just upgraded with a DX58SO MB, i7 920 plus a 160 GB Solid State Drive, 1.5 TB seagate HD for project storage, 932 HAF Coolermaster case, XFX Black Edition 5850 ATI Video card. I had some problems with the MB and I posted the problems and solutions on this discussion board. If you do go with this board download the latest bios update in ISO format and burn it to a disk before you try to fire up your OS. I'm running Corel's Painter X ver 10 and this setup is very fast. Last system I had to wait for some of the screen redraws before starting a new brush. This system has not even blinked so far. The SSD makes the difference in speed. The video card isn't even working hard. I do video and audio also using high end apps that are processor intensive and so far everything is running without a hicup.

Build your own and you''ll get exactly what you want that works all the time.

• 7. Re: what processor / motherboard to chose?
                      miriamalmeida

So you're saying it would be better to build my own workstation, instead of buying one? what you think it's the cheapest option?