Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Unable to turn on Wireless Capability

GLein
Beginner

Hello Community,

My laptop (Toshiba Satellite M645-4114) running on 64-bit Win 10 randomly decided to drop my WiFi connection by turning off my wireless capability. I went into Control Panel to turn it on and it won't allow me, as in I will drag the slider from "Off" to "On" and it will just immediately bounce back to "Off." The touch sensitive button above my keyboard that turns on/off my wireless capability will register as being touched, but won't do anything (the other buttons up there still work fine). I tried using the FN+F8 shortcut and that too was ineffective. I checked to see if my laptop was in Airplane Mode and it is not. Within "Network Connections," I see that my "Wireless Network Connection" is not connected, but I am unable to connect it because when I troubleshoot it simply tells me to turn on my Wireless Capability, which I cannot do. The network adapter is an Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN with Driver Version 15.12.0.8 which it says is the most updated version. I am at a loss as to how to fix this. I have tried shutting down and rebooting, but nothing seems to work.

I am hoping it is something with the network adapter, and that is why I am here on the Intel Community Forum. If you have any insight as to what could be causing this problem or how to fix it, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello leinberger93,

As we understand, you are having issues enabling WiFi connectivity in your PC. I would like to mention that the behavior you describe may have different origins (OS, PC hardware, Virus, etc), so we will focus on the options related to Wireless adapter.

- Make sure you have any applicable updates for Microsoft Windows® 10.

- Try doing a clean Install of your Wireless Adapter drivers, please note that the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6250 does not have Windows® 10 drivers, so you have to use the ones for Windows® 8.1 :

1. Obtain the WiFi drivers from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25511/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*.

2. Go to Control Panel - Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel - Device Manager - Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6250 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager again and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, you can customize the installation and install all driver components.

- If the issue persists, try Uninstalling your Antivirus Software and check if this helps.

0 Kudos