3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 11:35 AM by mikec_intel

NUC5i3RYH - USB problems

STEWAL

USB ports on the backside of my brand new NUC5i3RYH don´t recognize any USB-devices.

I installed a 128GB SSD drive (M.2) and 8GB RAM. First, i installed the UBUNTU Version 14.04 on the SSD and everything was working fine.

After this, i installed UBUNTU 15.10. When i now shut down (or try to shut down...) the system, i get the message USB3-1-port 7 "over-current condition" alternating with USB3-1-port 8 "over-current condition" like the cast at the end of a movie. The system hangs there and i have to press and hold the start button on the NUC to shut it down. Then i realized, that the USB-Ports on the backside of the system no longer recognize USB devices. But also the yellow port on the front side is no longer working, when the OS is taking over.

As the device is just several days old, i feel like sending everything back.

Any hints ? I didn´t really find my issue somewhere posted. Correct me if i´m wrong.

Best regards,

Ste

• 1. Re: NUC5i3RYH - USB problems
          mikec_intel

Hi STEWAL,

I believe there is a compatibility issue with the latest version of Ububtu 15.10, as you said in your thread with version 14.04 the NUC works properly.
          The problem is happening while you are turning it off.

Update the BIOS version; use version 0350. Then get into the BIOS, from Power tab disable “USB S4/S5 Power”

Bear in mind there are no drivers for Linux provided by Intel.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: NUC5i3RYH - USB problems
            STEWAL

Hi Mike C,

thanks for your answer. Actually, i already had the new BIOS Version on when i didn´t work.

When i tried to reinstall the old OS (14.04) it failed, because the ports were not available any longer. So i had either keyboard or USB-Stick, neither this nor that alone helped to succeed.

Maybe to disable the USB S4/S5 Power could/would have helped, but as i have your input now, i can´t try it anymore, because....

in the end, i gave back my first NUC, received a new one, and now i stay with 14.04.3 and everything works just as i wanted to have it. Like the saying : newer change a winnig team or a running system

Best regards,

Ste

• 3. Re: NUC5i3RYH - USB problems
              mikec_intel

Hi STEWAL,

Thank you for your feedback. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
              Mike C