As I understand, you adapter works well with secure networks, however, it requires driver changes to connect to public (unsecure) networks. Please try the following:
- Check with the Computer Manufacturer Support and make sure you are using their latest recommended driver.
- Apply the configuration from the advisory: Wireless Networking — What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?
If the issue persists, let us know the following:
- Did this work fine before?
- Is this the adapter that came installed from factory with your PC?
- What driver version do you have installed?
- Are you aware of any specific type of connection that has problems with your wireless adapter? (2.4 GHZ, 5 GHZ, 802.11a, b, g, n or ac, type of encrytion)
1 of 1 people found this helpful
My Dell laptop came with a 3160 and I had problems. It worked but I had to be within 20 feet of the router. I opened the case and the connections were loose. Worth a look.