Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Shutdown Problem after Upgrading to E8400

JWhit34
Novice

After upgrading the processor on my ECS 945GCT motherboard to an E8400 I have an unusual problem. Everything works great, except when I shutdown the computer. The operating system (Windows 7) closes out, the monitors go into sleep mode, but the computer does not power off. I can force it off by holding-down the power button. This is a minor annoyance, but before I upgrade four other identical machines to the E8400 I want to understand what's going on.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Exactly what is the type of processador and motherboard, please tell me the correct specification, to help. Bye

mailto:StB@N StB@N

0 Kudos
JWhit34
Novice

I am running an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 on an ECS 945GCT motherboard with 2 GB of RAM and Windows 7. Before upgrading to the E8400 the computer was running an E2220 CPU. With the old CPU, the computer shuts down correctly; with the new one it does not.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a similar problem with one of my computers, I upgraded the BIOS and the problem went away.

0 Kudos
JWhit34
Novice

I've checked the ECS web site and I have the latest version of the BIOS. There are power control options in the BIOS (and Windows 7), but none seem to address this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Based on my experiance, there isn't anything you can do.

Maybe you could ask ECS to fix it, but it depends how well the board is supported now.

0 Kudos
JWhit34
Novice

I fear you may be correct. I am also working this problem from the software (Windows 7) end.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The ECS web site for your mb only says it supports core2 processors up to 1066 FSB, and lists up to the E6700. The E8400 spec is 1333 fsb. I don't know if this is the cause, but it could mean the mb doesn't properly support the cpu.

0 Kudos
JWhit34
Novice

Actually, I did not fully describe the motherboard. It is an ECS 945GCT-M/1333. This version of the motherboard supports processors up to the E8600 (according to the ECS web site). Sorry for the confusion.

JWhit34
Novice

Well, I threw in the towel and replaced the E8400 with an E5200. Everything works fine now. Another mystery I don't have time to deal with!

A good effort, though. I appreciate the help on this forum.

0 Kudos