cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic/Fresh Install Questions

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This may seem like a very basic question, but can anyone guide me on getting my SSD installed on a new PC build with a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit? It would be a big help.

The components I have are: EVGA 3X SLI motherboard, two 640GB Western Digital harddrives for storage (would like to set them up in RAID 0), a 80GB Intel SSD.

My motherboard bios needs to be updated and so does the firmware of the SSD.

Do I update the motherboard bios first, then install Windows 7 64-bit, then install the SSD (and update the firmware after I get things running)?

Also, when installing the two 60GB harddrives, should I leave it in IDE mode and then change to ACHI mode before installing the Intel SSD? Once I get Windows installed, what setting should I use? I read about disabling prefetch, superfetch, pagefile, and defrag. Could someone guide me on how to get maximum performance after the fresh install of Windows?

Once again, I apologize for the very basic/noob questions. This is my first SSD install ever and I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly (and in the proper order).

Thanks,

~ Im2bz2p345

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

*Bump*

Any help with the basics? I am sure this is a piece of cake for most of you guys to answer.

Thanks again,

~ Im2bz2p345

DZand
Contributor III

This is the Intel Support Community Subforum "Solid State Drives", which is intended for special questions regarding the Intel SSD's and not for basic questions as yours.

Nevertheless I will try to help you.

• It doesn't matter at all, if you do the mainboard BIOS or the SSD Firmware update at first step.
  • You even can flash the SSD Firmware onto your SSD after having installed the OS onto it.
  • It doesn't make any sense to install the OS in "IDE Mode" and to change the Mode later to "AHCI Mode".

This is what I would do:

1. Flash the new mainboard BIOS according to your mainboard manual.
  2. Choose the optimized BIOS settings and set the Intel SATA Controllers to "IDE Mode".
  3. Connect the SSD to the first Intel SATA port (SATA 1) of your mainboard. If there is already a hdd connected, change the SATA port of it.
  4. Boot off the Firmware image CD and flash the new Firmware to your SSD.
  5. Once the Firmware update is shown as successful, reboot and set the Intel SATA Controllers to "AHCI Mode".
  6. Make sure, that the SSD is set at first place within the BIOS option "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY".
  7. Install Windows 7 onto the SSD.

If you should have more questions, read the README.TXT file of the Firmware installer, look into your mainboard manual or do a Google search for the answers. You cannot expect a special guide for you about how to configure your system the best way, because each system is somehow unique and the users preferences are extremely different. Furthermore you will learn much more, if you do something yourself.

By the way:

You will get the best possible performance. if you buy a second Intel SSD and run them both as RAID0. But this requires even more knowledge.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Fernando,

I understand that this forum is specialized for Intel SSD questions, but I could no find my answers anywhere online. I thought this would be the best place, since most of my question DO deal with the Intel SSD. Try this out: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Fresh+Install+Windows+7+Intel+SSD

You'll notice the first hit that pops up is for this thread. Also, there is only one other thread that I read which only partially answered my questions: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/new-ssd-existing-raid-1-clean-win7-install-no-go-36313/

I have done several new PC & RAID harddrive builds before, so a comment like this "Furthermore you will learn much more, if you do something yourself,"

is unneccessary. Like I mentioned in my original thread, this is my FIRST SSD BUILD, and I wanted to get some basics answered so that I don't screw up doing something silly.

This question was still unanswered from my original post: "Once I get Windows installed, what setting should I use? I read about disabling prefetch, superfetch, pagefile, and defrag."

Thanks again for the help. I am sure this thread will be useful for new PC builder who have never used a SSD before.

~ Im2bz2p345

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Im2bz2p345,

Hopefully this MSDN blog posting will provide you a jumping off point in answering your remaining questions.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx