Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20624 Discussions

Support for Intel HD Graphics on the Intel Graphics 520

RMurr3
Beginner

I am probably going to sound like a broken record or be one of many who has mentioned this, but, I am encountering the occasional screen flicker and my HD Graphics drivers for Windows 8 failing in Windows 10. Is there any word on updated drivers specifically for Windows 10 and when might those be available? I am running the i7-6500U if that helps at all. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This is the link for the latest video drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88355/Intel-HD-Graphics-520-for-6th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 520 for 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors

If you have an observation to report, please be sure to fill out this information as complete as possible:

Allan.

0 Kudos
RMurr3
Beginner

Thank you for the reply. Now, when I attempt to install the updated drivers, it gives me an error message that states: "This installation package is not supported by this processor type." Any suggestions on how to move forward from here?

0 Kudos
amarc18
Beginner

I am also having problems . I tested the intel driver win64_154014.4352 (latest release - 23dez2015) and Dell drivers and my laptop still running HD and UHD videos with difficulty, stammering a lot, the video is always failing. My laptop is a i7 (Inspiron 7568). Could anyone help me?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have been testing driver version 4352 on Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10, playing videos without flickering or any issues at all. I just made sure to load free video codecs available on Internet after installing the latest Intel(R) Graphics Driver.

Allan.

0 Kudos
EBrun3
Beginner

Adding another anecdote as I found this thread via google search-

Brand new Dell Inspiron 17-5759 (Core i5-6200U, Intel HD Graphics 520, 1600x900 17" LCD) and it flickers sometimes holding the screen blank for several seconds at a time...

Notice it most often on battery but I know I've seen it plugged in too. Also the flickering happens with an external 1920x1200 display attached via HDMI, or at least it has in the past.

Most recent experience has been just now, on battery, and today I asked Dell support to upgrade my Intel driver to the latest - a support rep used a remote control app to install it for me, and the new version is 20.19.15.4380. Previously the version was 20.19.15.4300.

The flickering often happens around login time and shortly after ... once I have Chrome running for a bit it tends to die down. Haven't seen any flickering since logging into the Intel community site.

For power settings in the Intel HD Graphics 520 gui, On Battery is set to Maximum Battery Life, Extended Battery Life for Gaming is Enabled.

When the blank screen happens, the LCD backlight is still ON btw. Backlight on, just a fully black screen.

More detailed system information:

Dell Inspiron 17-5759, Core i5-6200U, 8GB RAM (2x4GB), 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (10.0.10586)

No other graphics adapter (just Intel HD Graphics 520)

Problem happens with both LFP and EFP via HDMI, only Single-Display mode used (if EFP is attached, laptop is closed and LFP is not in use)

Extremely intermittent but generally corresponds to either login screen, lock screen, or desktop with no running apps although the flickering continues for seconds after starting an application. Chrome typically squelches the problem.

Intel Graphics HD 520 Driver version 20.19.15.4380

Can't find Video BIOS version, all I see is:

0 Kudos
EBrun3
Beginner

Confirmed the problem also happens when Intel HD 520 power profile is set to Maximum Performance in On Battery.

Video of the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EET53Rnaams Intel HD 520 flicker on Dell Inspiron -

Cross posted in

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Were you able to test beta driver?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Allan.

0 Kudos
EBrun3
Beginner

Thanks, I've installed the 4404 beta and I'll report back in a day or 2 how it's performed. No flickers on AC+HDMI monitor so far (but I had no flickers with AC power + HDMI monitor on 4380 today either)

0 Kudos
EBrun3
Beginner

Flicker has occurred under battery use (LCD monitor, just booted it up to kick back & relax surfing the 'net) with version 4404 beta. As usual, the flickering seems to go away shortly after starting Chrome.

0 Kudos
EBrun3
Beginner

So more details...

Right now it's flickering like crazy under Chrome, staying blank for 1+ seconds each time (which is extremely obnoxious as I am typing blind most of the time)

Usually if I am looking at the desktop I can hit the window key and it'll come back out for a bit, i.e. show the screen again

Just now typing this it has been flickering nonstop for 2+ minutes even with Chrome running... which is odd since usually that's not the case. I was messing with the power profiles a bit though but I am pretty sure I put them all back the way they were.

Seems to happen even under the Maximum Performance profile in the main system Power options.

Just now, hitting the window key to give the start menu stopped the epic long continuous flicker fest - although closing the start menu caused it to promptly begin again.

0 Kudos
EBrun3
Beginner

Okay, possibly getting somewhere.

Disabling C-States from the Dell System BIOS (the "C-states" checkbox cleared, Apply'd and then Exit) seems to improve things, or that is to say, instances when I've booted the laptop with C-states disabled in the BIOS have resulted in 0 observations of flicker. With C-states enabled, more often than not I do see a flicker (sometimes I don't, then I reboot and see them again on next boot). But after 5 reboots with C-states disabled, I haven't seen any flickering.

For now I'll run the system with C-states disabled and report back in a few days if I'm still running a perfect streak with no flickers, or report back sooner if I do see them.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information. Please let me know if your computer still flickers after those changes.

Allan.

0 Kudos
EBrun3
Beginner

Been using the laptop on battery for a few days with C-states disabled ... Haven't seen a single flicker.

Just 15 minutes ago, I re-enabled C-states. Guess what happened. . . .

Not on the first reboot, but on the 2nd reboot I noticed flickering right away in the login screen and frequently after. Rebooted again, and I didn't notice any flickering at first - but while casually browsing the list of programs in the Start menu I noticed some very fast flickering. Rebooted and disabled C-states in the BIOS again, now I'm using it without any hint of flicker.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for sharing details about this issue. I would recommend waiting for new graphics driver at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software

Allan.

0 Kudos
EBrun3
Beginner

Just checking in with an update... been several weeks and I've not seen a single flicker, HDMI monitor or laptop display, since disabling C-states. Still running 4404 beta (which appears to be the latest beta at this time too).

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

We are just waiting for an update on this issue. The latest driver available at this point is the beta release 4404.

Allan.

0 Kudos
BKus
Beginner

I am experiencing the same screen flickering on my new Win 10 HP Spectre x360 Ultrabook, also using the i7-6500u.

It only happens while on battery, and while on the balanced or power saving power management plan - when either touching a key on the keyboard, the touch pad or even clicking a wireless mouse. I initially though it was some power drain issue / fault, but it also does it on the wireless mouse which is not directly hardwired.

I I notice it more on darker pictures with some colour - not so noticeable on a bright white screen.

I can work around the issue if I go into the advanced power settings, then change Intel(R) Graphics Settings>Inetl(R) Graphics Power Plan>On Battery: "Maximum Performance", then the flickering goes away.

I have not tested the impact of battery life by having this setting changed.

It appears to be on every device I tested in store also. It is also on the new Lenovo Yoga 900 with the same i7 6500u 520 Win 10.

Tried downloading the suggested drivers above, but for some reasons suggests its not compatible. Could only update with the HP software.

Its either going to be some Intel driver issue or a serious floor in their new CPU. Expecting its the former.

Cheers

Ben

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Let's hope new driver will fix this for you, in the meantime, test a beta drive here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25541/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Allan.

0 Kudos
BKus
Beginner

Hello Allan, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the Spectre is telling me that the software is not validated for this computer?

Would should I do from here?

Cheers

Ben

0 Kudos