1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 12, 2009 2:21 PM by Overmind

Errors on a RAID1 array, but Intel Matrix Storage Manager isn't giving me any details.

NewEnglish

I have two drives in a RAID-1 array as my primary OS partition. Every so often, my system locks up during boot. When I do a hard reset and get back to Vista, I get a message from the Intel Matrix Storage Console stating that the "data in a volume is being verified and repaired." After the scan, it usually reports that a number of errors have been found and repaired.

So, I have "errors," I guess. The Intel application doesn't tell me what kind of errors were found. I don't know if it's a surface error on one or both drives or some other kind of error affecting the whole array. How do I determine this so I can get an RMA started, if necessary? Since it's RAID-1, can I simply unplug one drive and scan each separately in Vista?  The system works fine except for the occasional boot problem. I'm just worried that one drive is bad and will eventually give out on me.

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 64.  The RAID array consists of 2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB drives running on an Intel ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID controller on a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard.